How to remove the computer tray from trunk?

Scott Long

It loose and rattling on bumps and is very annoying. I want to remove it and relocate the computers to behind the carpet in front of the fenderwells. What is involved in this?

To get to the rear deck, you have to remove the bottom and back of the back seat, and the side panels.. The seat bottom is easy, push the bottom section back about 1' from the door on each side, and it pops up and out. The seat back has 5 screws, 2 8mm at the top and 3 13mm on the bottom. Then you have to pull the bottom part forward to get the leather unstuck from the panels and then lift the whole frame up about 1". Careful removing it as the bottom brackets have sharp exposed edges.

The side panels are a pain because after you take all the screws out, there is a sticky hard rubber sealant around the top edge that has to be cut free. You also have to completely loosen the top door trim panel. It has 3 screws and 2 push clips. Also you have to remove the rear speakers which means the rear speaker covers.. pry the bottom edge out first.
Be careful around the seat belt rail, the side panel is only 1 piece of plastic in the shallow cutout, even though it looks like 2 pieces. The whole panel has 4 screws including the clothes hanger, and 3 or 4 push clips. All of the screws are visible, so there shouldn't be any surprises.

When you get all this stuff off, you lift the rear deck up and and take a couple of bolts out, and the tray can then be removed. Seems like it would be easier, but like all things on the SC, nothing ever is. :rolleyes:

Let me know if you need a pic; I currently have the rear panel out on mine. :cool:

Well I was hoping I wouldn't have to remove the side trim panels. I figured just the upper seat back and lower seat would have to come out. shoot. I have my amp mounted on the back of my seat, so I guess I have to disconnect that also. Why couldn't ford have welded four nuts to the top of the rear deck beneath the carpet and then used long bolts to hold in the tray? Then you could lay into the trunk and pull out the bolts and lower the tray down. Damn Ford engineers, I'd like to say a few words to whoever is responsible for this design.

You may just need to replace the tray's mounting hardware (broken plastic push pin or deformed metal clips).

if you're careful you can fish out the decklid carpet without removing the side panels, maybe just remove the back screws

Back