Cam Sensor

BalouSC

Does the cam sensor include the part that goes into the motor similar to a distributor or is it just the small, round black cap on top?

There are 2 parts to the cam sensor. The top is just the stator (electronic pick-up) and that's the part that usually goes bad (loss of tach. or CEL #214). The lower part ,somewhat similar to a distributor base needs a tool to reset it when replaced.

BalouSC said:
Does the bottom part go bad or is it pretty reliable?
Unless something catestrophic happens to it, such as a timing chain break, or other impact, it just sits there and holds up the cam sensor itself. If you have a bad cam sensor, just unplug it and drive without it. It will take a few tries to get it started, key off between tries, but if you notice no difference in how the car runs, its not the cam sensor. :cool:

Mine went out on my and my tach died and the car stalled. I got it to restart after about 6 tries, and it ran fine, but rich as hell at first. Every time I shut it off it took about 3-4 times to get it to fire. I had to drive it like that for about 2 days till my part came in. I fixed it, the car fired on the first crank, tach worked, and the gas mileage went up.

Its only two 5mm bolts. I had to take off the SC belt to get at it. I changed it in the parking lot at Advance Auto Parts.

I was wondering because I bought one on ebay and it just came with the cap not the lower part. Now I see them all the time getting sold as a unit so I was wondering if I got ripped off. But since it usually doesn't go bad I won't worry about it. Thanks for the help guys!!!

As long as you didn't pay more than about $10 for it, you're fine. New ones are around $35. I myself wouldn't pay more than 1/2 that for a used one especially since they tend to go bad so often. Its good to have a spare one. If you keep the car long enough, you'll eventually need it. :cool:

Back