Stereo Help

Paulio91184

hi guys, do all sc's come with the premium sound system, i have no idea what kind speakers are in my 90 sc, but they look original, Does the system have an amplifier? if so, where is it located?

dont think so

Im pretty sure not all of the have permium sound just the ones that say premium sound on the front speaker covers, Pretty sure that means no stock amp the only one i know of is the one to power the stock sub in the truck. Also the hook ups in the back of the tape player are diffrent and cant just buy a harness for a thunderbird you have to make sure you get the hook up for premium sound....

If yours is a jbl premium sound it does have an amp and is located in the truck mounted on the top tray along with the sub amp. Walmart sells the wiring harness for our cars and every thing on mine worked out great.

There are three different systems offered in all SC's. The basic system is non-amplified and runs standard Ford speakers. Then there is a "Premium" system which uses upgraded speakers and a 4 channel amp located in the rear deck on 89-93 models and in the dash on 94-95 models. The top of the line system is the "JBL System" and it uses special component style speakers in enclosures and a dedicated subwoofer in the trunk. This system has two amplifiers. On the 89-93 models the type of system you have is labelled on the door handle pull cups and on the 94/95's it is labelled on a badge next to the radio.

CD players (either dash mount or trunk mount) are add-on's to the premium and JBL systems but not the basic system. If you plan to add an aftermarket stereo to a premium or JBL system then you will need to either bypass the OE amplifiers or use a special interface to match component input levels for best sound quality.

Back