Fuel Gauge Problem

Chris89

My fuel gauge went out. All of a sudden one day it just quit working? Any suggestions what it is and what i can do to fix it? Thanks. Chris

Chris where is the neddle on the gauge pointed at? I dont want to sound like an a$$ but a little more info would be an excellent idea to help us pin point your problem.

Shane

Gauge or Sending Unit?

Chris89 said:
My fuel gauge went out. All of a sudden one day it just quit working? Any suggestions what it is and what i can do to fix it? Thanks. Chris

Mine gauge stuck just below half a tank a few months ago. Discovered that the hard way - ran out of gas on the highway. (And I thought I was getting great mileage after the last dyno tune - LOL!)

We had installed a 255 lph fuel pump a couple months before. Turned out the pump turned in the bracket causing the rectangular sock/filter to block the float from going down.

Drove around with a couple gallons of gas in the trunk until we had a chance to drop the tank and pull the pump to fix that annoying problem.

Eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX Sport

Have you removed the gauge cluster yet to make sure everything is connected? If you have a spare cluster you could try swapping out just the fuel gauge itself and see if that has any effect. Other than that you could check the wires the go to the pump to see if any of them are corroided(sp) and fix them.

Shane

If the "check gauges" light comes on when you are low on fuel, then the problem is probably in the instrument cluster.

Back