PDA

View Full Version : Someone Help Me With the whole clutch/pressure plate....

darkstar_one
04-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Okay... i got my flywheel resurfaced... and i was gonna bolt the pressure plate onto it.. but something about the alignment dowels? whats that about... here is a picture... tell me if its good or not... as u can see the dowels or pins are below the holes but the bolt holes line up good...

fastsc92
04-26-2005, 06:33 PM
first off...the flywheel needs to be installed on the car before anything can be bolted to it. Once the flywheel is installed, and torqued down, then you can add your disk, and use the alignment tool. Then you can install your pressure plate and bolt it to the flywheel.

I'm assuming you have already installed your pilot bearing into the crank? If not, that needs to be done beforehand.

darkstar_one
04-26-2005, 06:42 PM
yes i have bolted the flywheel to the crank already and have the pilot bearing installed already... now... back to the whole alignment pin thing... does it really matter... can the pressure plate be installed in anyway?? or does it have to be installed in a special way... if so what are the specs... can someone give me the torque specs for the pressure plate... what should the bolts be bolted down to... do they require threadlocker on them thanks again..

Mike8675309
04-26-2005, 09:10 PM
25ft/lbs for the pressure plate to flywheel bolts. You shouldn't need any thread locker. Did you use new bolts for the flywheel? I know I would.

As long as it bolts up, the alignment pins shouldn't matter, as long as they don't get in the way of anything.

Are you sure you have a matched flywheel and clutch? 94/95 flywheel and clutch are .5" larger in diameter than the 89-93 units. This could account for your variance if the flywheel is larger but the pressure plate is the smaller version. Make sure the clutch disk is able to fully contact the contact surface on both the pressure plate and the flywheel.

Use the alignment tool in the center to line it up when you bolt the pressure plate on.

RustyUL
04-27-2005, 09:11 AM
This is not true...the alignment pins DO matter. The bolt holes in the pressure plate are designed with clearance in them for the screw, in other words, the screw hole is larger than the screw diameter, allowing the pressure plate to be installed in a way that it's not precisely concentric with the flywheel, crank and pressure plate, causing a vibration.

The pins precisely locate the pressure plate concentric with the rotating assembly, the screws hold the plate to the flywheel. Standard mechanical design practice, and very important in most cases, including this one.

Darkstar...Are the pins giving you a problem? Is this why you don't want to use them? Understand that when the pins are installed on the flywheel, the chamfer on the larger portion of the pin somewhat aligns the dowel hole. You have to get it as close as possible, then partially tighten the screws on the pressure plate all around several times. The pressure plate WILL NOT fit over the pins with normal hand pressure. They are pressed in when the screws are tightened. Very important that you get the chamfer of the pins started correctly in the correct PP holes before you start partially tightening the screws, or you will distort the sheet metal housing of the PP.

darkstar_one
04-27-2005, 01:14 PM
dudes... i dont know... are the pins the ones in the second picture? because all i brought from the junkyard were the flywheel and the flywheel bolts and the pressure plate bolts.. me and my friend didnt see any pins or dowels or anything... what do the dowels look like??? can i get them at the dealer..

also my dad is talking about the pressure plate requires some pressure washers on the bolts or something?

RustyUL
04-27-2005, 03:51 PM
As far as the second picture is concerned...the hole in the flywheel appears to be a dowel pin hole, but the size seems to be a bit off. My pins were stepped. About 3/16" diameter halfway and about 1/4" diameter with a large chamfer on the side that goes into the pressure plate. The smaller end gets tapped in with a hammer in the flywheel until it hits the shoulder, then the chamfered edge helps align and press into the pressure plate as the screws get tightened. The PIN shown in the second picture IS NOT the dowel alignment pin. Also, the first picture of the pressure plate DOES NOT appear to have any dowl pin holes in it. It would appear my setup and yours are different due to model year changes.

In this thread (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61251) which you have contribuited to, it would seem the later years are different than the earlier ones. From what I gather from all the postings, your flywheel/clutch uses shoulder screws to both align and tighten the pressure plate to the flywheel, so it doesn't use dowels, explaining why there aren't any holes for dowels in your pressure plate. On the down side, it would appear that it's difficult to properly align the pressure plate because the screws move it as you tighten them. I would try to keep the alignment tool in pilot bearing and clutch disc at all times when you are tightening the bolts. I believe you have the clutch in the proper position in the first picture. From what I gather, the trick is to keep it there while tightening the bolts and using the alignment tool to keep the disc in place.

The 94-95 (maybe earlier) with the 3 alignment pins is a much better design. I'm sorry that Ford didn't wise up earlier so you wouldn't have these problems..

BTW...I did find that throwout bearing if you feel you still need it. I can email you a picture if you PM me your email address....

MyWife'sSC
04-27-2005, 04:09 PM
The alignment pins are pressed into the flywheel, not the pressure plate. By your picture I think your assuming the rivet in the pressure plate is the alignment dowel. A good machine shop wil remove the alighment pins from the flywheel when they resurface it, did you maybe not get yours back?

darkstar_one
04-27-2005, 04:51 PM
i never even had them... the flywheel came with-out them... all the holes were clear of anything... well i need the pressure plate bolts with shoulders... ford dealer says they are obsolete. anyone know were to get them? anyone got a picture of pressure plate bolts with shoulders

Pops
04-28-2005, 12:10 AM
Your flywheel is just like ours, a '90. These don't use dowels, the extra holes appear to be for balance weights (one is used for this on ours). The pressure plate bolts are special shoulder bolts that align the pressure plate (i.e., the bolts ARE the dowels). Don't use "regular" bolts or you won't be concentric. If you look closely at the bolt holes, you'll see they aren't threaded for the first 1/4", they are bored to the shoulder size.

Ford doesn't sell the pressure plate bolts any more, but I got a fresh set of Pioneer bolts at a clutch shop, about $5 a set (and they are Grade 8 vs the Ford Grade 5).

The clutches that use dowels have 3 sets of two holes close together with the dowel hole in between, while the non-dowel ones have 6 equally spaced holes. (or so I was told at the clutch shop)

MyWife'sSC
04-28-2005, 11:23 AM
The Ford part number for the bolts is 355705-S. While they are obsolete, there are many Ford Dealers that show them in stock. If you do want them bad enough ask your local dealer to try and locate them.

RustyUL
04-28-2005, 11:45 AM
The alignment pins are pressed into the flywheel, not the pressure plate.

Actually, this is not true. The pins are supposed to be a slip fit in the flywheel, but may be rusted, causing the fit to be tighter. When I polished the rust off my pins before re-installing them, they were put in the holes with finger pressure alone (but were snug) and bottomed out on the shoulders.

When tightening the pressure plate bolts, the pins align the PP and press themselves into the PP alignment holes. If you were to remove the PP imediately after installing it, I believe the pins would come out with it (if you removed the rust from them before initially installing them) because of the hole tolerance on the new pressure plate.

I believe the 94 and 95 use pins...maybe the 93 also, but I don't know.

Pops
04-28-2005, 12:41 PM
The Ford dealers I contacted wanted $5 - $8 apiece for the PP bolts, vs $5 a set at the clutch shop.

Pops
04-28-2005, 12:45 PM
I thought the shoulder bolts were a poor set-up at first, but then I rotated the new PP around to find the indexed location where they fit the closest. It was a very good fit once I did that, and went in smoothly.