Failed safety inspection - PS fluid leak

J.D.

SCCoA Member
So I failed the annual safety inspection because of power steering fluid dripping while the engine is running. I had the inspection done at the Ford dealer who claimed that the pump needs to be replaced. I did not see any leak from behind the pulley. Could the pump leak from anywhere else or would the leak be from a hose connection? If it's a connection, then can I just replace an o-ring?
I want to remove the upper IC tube and then run the engine to check for the source of the leak. Can I substitute a clothes dryer plastic duct for the IC tube or will it be sucked into the IC? I won't be running the engine for long so heat should not be a problem.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

J.D. said:
So I failed the annual safety inspection because of power steering fluid dripping while the engine is running. I had the inspection done at the Ford dealer who claimed that the pump needs to be replaced. I did not see any leak from behind the pulley. Could the pump leak from anywhere else or would the leak be from a hose connection? If it's a connection, then can I just replace an o-ring?
I want to remove the upper IC tube and then run the engine to check for the source of the leak. Can I substitute a clothes dryer plastic duct for the IC tube or will it be sucked into the IC? I won't be running the engine for long so heat should not be a problem.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I had a leak from the hose that goes to the rack and pinion and it kind of sucks getting to it. you have to buy or rent a power steering pulley remover/installer while your at it you might check how tight the valve that controls the evo is mine had a slight leak there also. or it could be as simple as the return line is just leaking. As for the other question I wouldn't try to do that with the dryer duct work you might have something go in there that you don't want plus it's a sealed system any leaks at all will make it run very bad.

If you have a power steering leak, and you find out the cause being the power steering lines, better check your engine mounts. Is it hard to get your oil filter off? I didn't see in your member page where you had replaced them, so I thought I would suggest. It appears that Ford, in it's infinite wisdom, decided that fluid filled engine mounts would absorb more vibration than regular rubber engine mounts. Well after a few years of the rubber surrounding the fluid filled mounts cracks, and all the fluid leaks out = bad!

MIKE 38sc said:
I thought SC's were supposed to leak fluids.
wait a minute......so you guys are saying i shouldn't constantly be topping off every single fluid resivoir under the hood every couple of weeks?

The motor mounts haven't been replaced but the engine doesn't sit on the oil pan or filter. I checked both a week ago while changing the oil.
I can live with fluid leaks but the mechanic who checked the car cannot, possibly because he doesn't have the pleasure of owning an SC.
So can I use a metal clothes dryer duct in place of the upper IC tube? I'll use large steel bands at either end. I don't care if the car idles badly, I just want it to run so I can pinpoint the source of the leak.

Sounds Like a Scam

I smelled a dead rat as soon as you said it was at a Ford dealer. How much is the p/s leaking? If it's that hard to find, then it should not be that much of an issue. It's not as if the car can't be steered if it fails. Sounds like they're lookin' to make some money off you. As soon as they see an SC roll into their shop, they probably see $
And I thought state inspections in TX were bad :rolleyes:

drain all the fluid out, go back and tell them it's not leaking anymore....i can't imagine they can give you any shiznit about that

Actually the leak is pretty serious. It's hard to find because I cannot get my hand in there to wipe off the old oil and the engine needs to be running for it to leak. Apart from the almost $500 they quoted, I dont want someone who has about as much experience as me but only half the motivation to unnecessarily touch my car.

91supacoop said:
drain all the fluid out, go back and tell them it's not leaking anymore....i can't imagine they can give you any shiznit about that
That's a good idea. Can I go elsewhere to have it inspected or has this problem been entered into a statewide database which means that it will show up at any inspection station?

i dunno about utah and their inspections, but if they are failing you for leaking during running, once you drain the fluid out, it won't leak when it runs anymore, and then it won't fail anymore, there isn't anything illegal about driving around without power steering, and you'll get a good workout. :)
I feel your pain though i had a serious PS leak when i first got my car, prolly due to the broken Motor mounts. But anyway, if you wanna use some flexitubing from the SC to the intercooler you don't have to worry about it being sucked in, but i would take the belt off the SC and open the bypass valve anyway so there isn't so much air flowing through the IC tubing. Make sure that when you connect it to the Sc it doesn't melt, that thing gets hella hot, in case you haven't yet burnt yourself.

91supacoop said:
i dunno about utah and their inspections, but if they are failing you for leaking during running, once you drain the fluid out, it won't leak when it runs anymore, and then it won't fail anymore, there isn't anything illegal about driving around without power steering, and you'll get a good workout. :)
I feel your pain though i had a serious PS leak when i first got my car, prolly due to the broken Motor mounts. But anyway, if you wanna use some flexitubing from the SC to the intercooler you don't have to worry about it being sucked in, but i would take the belt off the SC and open the bypass valve anyway so there isn't so much air flowing through the IC tubing. Make sure that when you connect it to the Sc it doesn't melt, that thing gets hella hot, in case you haven't yet burnt yourself.
I think I'll follow your suggestions, unless someone else has a better course of action. I don't really need to use the car, just pass the inspection. Soon I probably will have the use of a large garage to work on it and do all the important stuff - head gaskets, engine mounts, air freshener, you name it.

Why would you take it too a dealer for inspection? Is it required? Didn't see a repair bill coming did ya... Your going to have to drive it on some ramps and look at it or take it too the cheesiest place you can ,preferably with a El Mechanico who don't speak a lick of English. and i'm sure it'll pass.. or he'll fix it temp. for ya. Cheap

Tin-Knocker105 said:
Why would you take it too a dealer for inspection? Is it required? Didn't see a repair bill coming did ya... Your going to have to drive it on some ramps and look at it or take it too the cheesiest place you can ,preferably with a El Mechanico who don't speak a lick of English. and i'm sure it'll pass.. or he'll fix it temp. for ya. Cheap
Actually, I took my 3 month old company car (Mustang) to a cheesy place and they failed it. I then took it to this dealer and it passed. That's why I chose them to check my SC. In retrospect, though, I think that they passed the Mustang because they didn't want to do any warranty work that I wouldn't be paying for.

Michael Mattix said:
If you have a power steering leak, and you find out the cause being the power steering lines, better check your engine mounts. Is it hard to get your oil filter off? I didn't see in your member page where you had replaced them, so I thought I would suggest. It appears that Ford, in it's infinite wisdom, decided that fluid filled engine mounts would absorb more vibration than regular rubber engine mounts. Well after a few years of the rubber surrounding the fluid filled mounts cracks, and all the fluid leaks out = bad!

Here's a picture of the damaged high pressure line. The area around the pinhole was ground flat by the subframe (not the oil pan). The oil pan has a few gashes in it. So the oil pan is made of the softest metal while the subframe is the strongest and the steering line is somewhere in the middle.
I passed the safety inspection, not a day too soon.

Attachments

• PS line.jpg
    PS line.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 252
Don't you hate how those cameras focus? I had a hard time posting pics of my rear fuel lines that developed a pin hole leak. It's good that you found the cause of the problem.

Back