Hey all!!!!!! Long time no see. Need an opinion

Aaron Pedroza

I have got back into my bird, FINALLY!!!!!! I fixed my brakes, fixed overheating prob, and fixed that annoying exhaust leak. But now that I have it all back together the thing won't start!!!!! All wires are connected, I have compression, fuel is there but it just won't fire up. I am thinking it is the crank sensor, mainly because I changed the water pump. Is there anything else that anyone here can think it may be before I dive back into it this weekend?

I don't know if you did or not, but if you took the DIS module off make sure you put dielectric grease or heat sink compound on it. It seems to me that these cars have more problems when not started in a week then hammering the gas every five seconds :rolleyes: .

Just check everything that you took off or worked around and make sure its right.

Wow, definitely a long time no see. Hope it's going well in So Cal. Did you get any codes? If the crank sensor is messed up enough to cause a no-start, it might set a code.

Things are pretty good down here. Well, back to the car. I actually have a spare module and I switched that out and it didn't fix it. Also the car was running before I started working on it, started at least twice a week. Now that I did the work it just doesn't want to start. And I tried to get codes but I got nothing.

Wazzz-up Dude!!!!!!!!

WOW, LONG TIME!!!!!!!!!! The upshift light will be lit during cranking if the crank sensor is not giving signal. If when you turn the key, the light is on, CRANK SENSOR!!!

Just a tip!!!!

Don

Pull a plug wire, stuff a screw driver in it and set it by a ground and crank it over. Another option is to put a timing light on any plug wire and crank it. If there's no spark, probably a crank sensor reading issue.

So how long has it been? Is that still the same 'clone' motor of mine? :)

Well, car has pretty much been sitting for about a year. I drove it occasionally for a bit but then I had overheating probs and moved it from one side of the street to the other for awhile. But put it this way, I still have under 10,000 miles on the "clone" engine. I still never figured out the little probs to get the most power out of it. I also never hooked up at the track, best short time with the new engine was a meager 1.96. I am just tired of seeing it sit, it's time to get it running again.

BlackbirdSC said:
Pull a plug wire, stuff a screw driver in it and set it by a ground and crank it over. Another option is to put a timing light on any plug wire and crank it. If there's no spark, probably a crank sensor reading issue.

So how long has it been? Is that still the same 'clone' motor of mine? :)

Ok, well I just got home and tried to check crank sensor. I turned it over and shift light goes out. If that is atrue indicator of crank sensor then I guess it is still good. What else could it be?

It might sound dumb but, I replaced my dashboard last summer and when I put it back together I got lights, power, fuel, but it wasn't cracking. It turned out to be that the bolted harness to the main computer was loose, even though I never messed with it.

I suggest to take two seconds and give that harness a push :cool:

Metalman

Battery

Sounds stupid but could you have drained the juice by leaving a light on. I noticed a low cranking problem in my ride and then sometimes would not start , the terminals were clean but not making enough contact. Worth the try. Hell,I would piss on a spark plug if I thought it would do any good!

Well, I did just put a new battery in it. The old one was two months old and it died, got a new one free. Anyway, the car has been running, it just isn't now. hmmmmmmm, changed plugs while I had it apart. maybe gap? set at 54 , I will have to check spark first thing, if spark then has to be plugs. Sorry was brainstorming while I replied here.

Aaron,

Can you hear the fuel pump running...I usually disable mine by unplugging the relay (in trunk by inertia switch) when working on the motor and sometimes forget to plug it back in at startup.

Just push the reset button if it's not working.

David

Hey, welcome back! Here's one for the "obvious, and probably thought of it already" list. Are the maf, iac and tps sensors all plugged in?

Back