Swap an 89 ABS system for a 95?

Greg

Ok...does anyone know if you can swap out an '89 ABS system for an '95? Is the '95 system better than the '89? Does is have as many problems? Thoughts?

Thanks for your time!

Its a better system by far....I think it is the TEVES IV and ours is the TEVES III. BUT, you cannot swap them. If you were to do so, I believe there is many other things you would have to change also. Not worth the time and effort. I'd just look for one from a '89 to '92.

I'm not 100% sure about my information here, that is just what I have heard. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Anything's possible, but it would be what's called "prohibitively expensive". I'm sure that you couldn't even buy all the pieces new from Ford anymore, you would have to get all the lines, wiring, and controls from a 93-up car. Yes, the last of "older style" Birds and Cougars has the newer generation system. It would be ALOT of work to try to switch everything over, this would be a case where it would make more sense economically to sell your 89, and buy a 93-95 car if that's the ABS system you want. I would venture to say that it is a more reliable and simpler system compared to the earlier style.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

I wouldn't neccesarily say that the old system is bad. Let's face it, the newest cars with the old ABS are 10 years old. Parts will fail after time. With the rebuilds now available and the troubleshooting skills on this and other boards I'm sure you could get your ABS system working like new again. What kind of problems are you having?

Kevin,

This is what I posted earlier. I would welcome any thoughts that you have on my problem.

Thanks..
Greg

Ok…went through a driveway test from a SCCOA member and determined that my accumulator was bad. Replaced the accumulator and everything worked great. Only concern that I have is that I have a low count when I pump the brake before the accumulator charges up again. Actually starts charging after three pumps. I am also having intermittent loss of brake when I am in heavy traffic. Both Antilock and the Brake light comes on, and the accumulator is in constant charging mode. The car still brakes, but it's soft for a split second then grabs. But the problem disappears once it sits for about ten minutes. I pulled out the shop manual and went through about every test there is, and everything passes. I am at a total lost. This is an '89 SC that I have with a manual transmission with stock brake system.

Can someone tell me how many times they can pump their brakes before the accumulator starts charging? Also would appreciate any advice.

Well, I know I can pump the brakes on my XR7 11 or 12 times before the pump comes on the recharge the system. There is an excellent trouble shooting article on the TBSCEC board that I believe is the same as the article in an old Chargin' Thunder written by Duffy. It basically takes you through all of the troubleshooting and what can go wrong with the system. It is a lot simpler than the Ford manual too :)

Kevin, Thanks for the info and I finally had a chance to read it. The article by Duffy states under troubleshooting that "If the pump runs most likely you have a bad Accumulator or the pump is not being supplied with fluid because sediment has plugged the low pressure hose leading from the reservoir". My question is, if there is sediment plugging the low pressure hose, wouldn't the pump run forever because no fluid is being supplied to the Accumulator to get it 2600 psi (the shut off point)? Or would the pump still cycle on a short interval, say 3 to 5 seconds?

Thanks again for the info.
Greg

I do not believe that the pressure in the accumulator is monitored. The pressure of the system itself is monitored. That said, your pressure sensor may be bad and telling the pump to turn on when in fact the pressure is already high enough for operation. I cannot remember off hand where the switch is located on the master cylinder, but I am sure it is fairly well hidden or at least difficult to access :) I am not sure about what would happen if the return line to the pump were plugged.

Back