RE-SEALING IC tubes

WinnipegSC

ok not jsut a question for me but i see it asked every couple weeks

the point of this thread is to have mention of all the diffrent methods available to us to get rid of nasty vacume leaks.

Lets keep any argument over whats best to a minimun only state facts and reason. We as a comunity dont need people argueing with such amzing comments like.

"Thast stupid that **** wont work, seal it my way ur wrong becasue im right"

Also a personal question
If ersay i where to use RTV around all the seams would you use red or is there some reason not to use COPPER(higher heat rating)

My opinion (for what it's worth...)

I have used several of the RTV sealers with good results. Basically any of the "sensor safe", "high temp" RTV products will work. I think they offer the "Super RTV" type in blue, gray, black, and (everyone's favorite) copper.

After dozen pulls and reseals on the various jobs on my supercoupe, I finally used up all the residual squishyness of the teflon seals and used up all my special Ford tape, so I used the copper RTV. Works great and is a lot easier to apply. ;)
Copper is more than what is needed.. its made for high heat applications; however its nice to work with in that is sets up quickly and uniformly which is why I like it. :cool:

Last edited:
What about using the Loctite 518 for the IC tubes ( it's whats specified for the flange seal on the blower top)?

Permatex copper RTV orange. Seals good, and cleans up easy on subsequent repairs with a hand drill and wire brush bit.

David

Ford & Motorcraft have a nice sealer that is a greyish/silver colour, matches pretty close to the IC tubes if you have any sealer exposed.

Ford # F7TZ 19554 AA, Motorcraft TA-29.

cheers
Ed N.

I do.....

I do believe that using RTV sealer is fine. I usually let it set up a little....(about 20 minutes) and then install. TBIRD88's gaskets are great because they are re-usable. I personally have installed a set and have had no problem re-installing the tubes...again....and again...and again!!!!

As long as the tubes seal well, you're OK. The biggest problem with these cars is that people don't properly align the tube before sealing. This is also why I like the TBIRD88 gaskets.

Don

P.S. Hey Wynn, still got those!????

Don

lube70 said:
I do believe that using RTV sealer is fine. I usually let it set up a little....(about 20 minutes) and then install. TBIRD88's gaskets are great because they are re-usable. I personally have installed a set and have had no problem re-installing the tubes...again....and again...and again!!!!

As long as the tubes seal well, you're OK. The biggest problem with these cars is that people don't properly align the tube before sealing. This is also why I like the TBIRD88 gaskets.

Don

P.S. Hey Wynn, still got those!????
Yep, over 600 sets since 2001. By the way, good tech tip is to take a look in the upper tank on the IC while everything is opened up. Be sure there ain't little bb's or big goobers of RTV rollin' around on top of the core. These are a result of the RTV squishin' into the bore and hangin' like lil dingleberries and then breakin' off and then gettin' carried into the IC by the airflow.

So...if you use RTV be kinda conservative with it.

'bird

Back