Boost leak or not???

MagpoweredSC

Last year i upgraded my intercooler to a custom frontmount with a griffin ic core ,thanks again Gary, but is it normal to lose boost by putting a huge ic on? With the stock ic i was pegging the guage like no ones business(mag port 2 and so on and so on..) and after the ic upgrade, the car feels faster, but my boost is now jumps to like 13 and slowly creeps up to 15, but does not peg it. Should i be worried or is this normal?

Mark

The intercooler is bigger and you have more space to fill it with air which will take a little bit longer to fill it and compress it than it would w/ the smaller intercooler. I'd say its normal for a few psi pressure drop from going to longer tubes and a bigger core IC.

That is exactly what i think but wasnt sure, cuz the ic is supposed to be less psi drop than stock, but i gues if the ic is 5x the size of the stock one it would lose boost even if the psi drop is lower, am i right?

Mark

The drop is because you are flowing more air. It's not bottle necking. Think of a garden hose...the water coming out the end of a hose at full pressure isn't very impressive. Put a restriction at the end though...like a nozzle and the pressure increases. Same flow, but increased pressure. You've just done the opposite with your IC set up.

I dropped about 1.5 psi by going from a single stock IC to my NPR. I was in the 13's. I put a little more overdrive on and picked it up some, but can't recall what it hits now.

I think if you pick up the overdrive to get closer to 15 you'll get a little more power. This is the reason why Chris Wise, Dave Neibert, etc... have to run rediculous overdrives. When your motor flows THAT much air you need to over spin the blower just to keep up.

Micah

Last edited:
Back