SCI underdrives and belt issues

Tazer999

Anyone else runnin the sci underdrives half this problem? I just bolted mine on and the tensioner pulley by the alternator hits the waterpump pulley when the car is running. Anyone else have it? Did you use a shorter belt? If so what size

Thanks, I need to resolve this quick!

Tazer999 said:
Anyone else runnin the sci underdrives half this problem? I just bolted mine on and the tensioner pulley by the alternator hits the waterpump pulley when the car is running. Anyone else have it? Did you use a shorter belt? If so what size

Thanks, I need to resolve this quick!

I never had an issue with mine, is your belt the stock length? Is it the belt that came with the car? Maybe it was slightly longer to start with.

nope, its the stock belt, i got it from ford when i did my rebuild

PS: I thought the crank pulley was supposed ot be larger then stock also? Mine was smaller...

Ok'
Crank pulley should be smaller

Water pump and alternator bigger

Now you need to get the next smallest size belt. It was something like .5 or 2 inches smaller I cant recall..But its the very next smallest size..And it will still be close but will work

I'm running SCI underdrives and don't have any belt interference problems. They fit as well as the ASP underdrives that I took off. I'm still running the stock size belt.

Huh, i wonder whats goin on here then.. Maybe i'll just throw some spacers on my ac delete pulley and push it out a little farther

Tazer999 said:
Huh, i wonder whats goin on here then.. Maybe i'll just throw some spacers on my ac delete pulley and push it out a little farther
That is what I did and it worked like a charm. :)

Tazer999 said:
I would say the A/C delete pulley isn't the exact same size or location as the A/C compressor. Looks like you found the problem.

I got some spacers with my kit. I am sure Ryan Harris has a solution to this problem. Feel free to give Ryan a PM.

You know, I did just think of something. I'm not using the SCI underdrive crank pulley, I'm using an ASP underdrive crank pulley--it was a little lighter. Maybe it's also a little smaller leading to potential belt problems.

Nope no spacers in my kit.. I got just the pulley, *shrug* I rigged up my own delete bracketry at a machine shop. I added spacers though and it is fine now, thanks guys

I looked thru all the belt books today at work and found no shorter belt. The shortest belt I found was an 863K8 which is much shorter then the stock 897K8

Only oen company makes it..EIther dayco or gates..Ill get teh number for you because I cant recall offhand teh size or who..But it is most definately made. Teh real problem is stores only carry one brand nowadays

Numbers are rubbed off but its a Dayco..And they do make one slightly shorter. The problem is nooen stocks 8 rib belst really so they willmost likely need to get it in. I found mine at the store itself

Back