new motor over heating problems..

93thunderbird

ok i have a brand new motor n its not broken in yet but... i started 2 get on it and (under norm driving conditions it dosnt get hot) if i start 2 get on it (beat it a lil :) ) it starts 2 get hot its over heated on me 3 times now and if it dosnt over heat but gets around the "m" on "norm" the reserve tank starts 2 overflow n i piss anti-freeze all over the ground (ok i had a 195 thermo. in and i just put a 180 thermo. in and it still hasnt fixed the problem) theres pressure in the top rad. hose and the water pump is brand new (if u leave the cap off u see the anti-freeze go up n down so i know its working) im thinking that my low speed fan isnt coming on and just the high speed fan is when it hits the "m" and the high speed fan isnt enough because at that point in time its 2 hot for it cool it... i dunno i love the car but nothing but problems....

You are going to need to get a 30 amp relay, a switch, and some wire. Splice into the wire for the low speed fan, and wire it to the relay. I did that to mine because when my motor shorted out it messed up something else. The new motor works but wouldn't come on even when I cut the wires at the IRCM to tell it to run low speed. I just said to hell with it and wired up a relay and mounted a switch next to my head light switch on the dash. Now if/when the temp goes up I flip the switch and it gets cold. I run a 195 t-stat w/ felpro head gaskets. My car won't get hot unless I sit in a traffic jam for a long time. I only use the fan for a short time when I'm stuck in traffic, but if I'm driving or on the highway the car stays cold. I can't believe how cold this car runs compared to my 92. My black SC has a 160 t-stat and the low speed fan is wired to run when the ignition is on 100% of the time. It runs about 1/2 on the gauge. I am going to put a hotter t-stat in to see if it will get better gas mileage and run cooler, but if not then I'm going to take the heads off and put new gaskets on it.

Don't keep driving the car till you fix the fan. I wired up my relay in about 35 minutes.

lol

i love that.. why do u have 2 worry about y im getting on it? i asked a question about my car overheating.. i dont need u 2 ask me why i get on it... my question/problem is my car shouldnt be over heating just because im getting on it.. thx

but on a new motor, thats not broken in yet and "gettin on it" can possible make some nice headaches for ya

trife86 said:
but on a new motor, thats not broken in yet and "gettin on it" can possible make some nice headaches for ya

LOL!!!!!! You should take a tour of an engine assembly plant, particuliarly the test run area where there first fired up. Babying a new motor is an old wifes tale and does some harmefull things to the motor as well. Ring seal is very vital and you're not going to accomplish that by babying the motor. Should anything break it was defective or not assembled properly to begin with and I want to know about that as soon as possable.

:)

lol thx mike... well here is an update i put my heat on/defrosters etc. (no fan come on) i unplug the wire thats next to the ignition mod. and the fan comes on.. so im guessing 2 things my rad is clogged and my low speed fan isnt working ( oh i also put a new rad cap on it) still nothing im ganna put my rad. from my 93 sc in and see if this helps out any thx

Back