40PSI boost on ricer???

sizemoremk

Hey guy, just wanted to see if someone could make heads or tails of this...

I was talking to a guy at work with a Honda del sol, and he was talking about using a screw blower with 40 PSI of boost. He seemd to know what he was talking about... cept he kept calling it a "compressor," that just sounds retarded to me...

From the way he was explaining it, it sounds like the ricers are shortening the intake duration (or lowering lift or something), so that the volume pulled into the cylinder is less, so they can run more boost?

Obviosly this would require a FMIC as temps would be waaay up there...

Is this just a ricer thing because they think 40lbs on the guage looks almost as kewl as their 3' wing on the back? Or is there a reason whay 40lbs of really hot "boosted air" in smaller volumes is better than 15lbs of hot "boosted air" with a normal volume of air?

Or is the heat difference between a screw blower and a roots blower all that different as to allow more boost ALOT cooler?

I am just curious???

thanks!

A twin screw is a compressor where as a roots is a pump. A turbocharger is also a compressor. So he is right.

Boost does not make HP airflow does.

I would study more about first, but he might be "right" on some level. That much boost pressure causes even more problems like Fuel pressure 40psi + base. A lot of injectors won't even open above 100 psi most much less. Then there is keeping the tubes from blowing off.

Jeff

put a sock in it!

Heck, I could throw in a balled up sock right after the blower, make more than 40 psi and still hand him his "bum" after I finish waiting at the finish line (humour). Damn, I am awesome.

Tyler (Tickler)
1990 SC

Last edited:
Here's my take on this- maybe they're not going for peak HP, maybe it's big torque.

Sounds like they are trying to have the ability to keep the cylinders filled at the highest pressure possible at all rpms in the streetable range to me. And they have what.. under 2.0L 4 cylinders? Think about it- if they are making intake duration shorter, creating more internal velocity (?) but less air volume (flow), it sounds like they are trying to create an absolutely flat, but very high torque curve.. generating something on the order of 400-500 ft lbs of torque (i'm speculating this) across most of the rpm range with 40 psi at the heads. If fuel and spark can be correctly mapped and applied, i'd say they are trying to emulate a big v8 power curve. if there is a way to do this, the AR type blower would be the way with the least amount of heat buildup.

how much can those b16/b18 internals take? i heard they are weak. he's probably building up the internals.

Last edited:
Tickler said:
Heck, I could throw in a balled up sock right after the blower, make more than 40 psi and still hand him his "bum" after I finish waiting at the finish line (humour). Damn, I am awesome.

Tyler (Tickler)
1990 SC

LOL.... man I can think a huge wack of cars these days that would be waiting for you at the finishing line and handing you a sock..........

Frit

Back