Inlet Plenum Designing

fastsc92

Alright guys, I'm back at it again. I'm itching to design something else new for myself. I'm looking into making a new inlet plenum for my 95 blower. Right now the blower is ported, but I'm still running the stock plenum. I was thinking about the MP unit, but once again I cant see spending $500-$550 on that item. I'm going to try to design my own, very similar, but different in its own way.

What i'd like to toss out is any ideas, and size of the unit. I'm not sure if i should use large tubing, or make it more of a rectangual shape. In either case, whats the ideal size, ect ect....

I was browsing around and spotted a few homemade plenums and they are a work of art. I'd like to mimick something like that. It seems simple enough to make using the stock inlet as a core to cut up. This way I can have the same position, but just with a much larger size and better flow.

Any comments would be great. Thanks again guys.

There are a couple of good ways you can make one, but it's more than likely you'll get the same outcome in performance regardless of the design. I'd like to make one out of sheet metal the same shape of the MP inlet plenum, but a little bit bigger. You could also make on out of 3 1/2" pipe.

If you have a tig, go with aluminum and make a box shaped one a little bigger than the MP inlet plenum.

It's all up to you though. :)

I would use aluminum stock to create the base. It will save you welding heartache later on. As far as shape and volume I guess thats experimental in your situation. It should allow at least a 75mm opening which could easily be ported to accpet the MP 85mm if you use flat alum stock

Sorry I dont ave to much to say on this..I do agree 500 is at least double to much!

Right now I'm thinking of using the stock plenum and modify that. This way i dont have to play around with position and threaded holes. I'm thinking basically cut the whole front half off the stock plenum and make it a box shape from there with a much more dirrect flow of air into the inlet side of the blower.

fastsc92 said:
Right now I'm thinking of using the stock plenum and modify that. This way i dont have to play around with position and threaded holes. I'm thinking basically cut the whole front half off the stock plenum and make it a box shape from there with a much more dirrect flow of air into the inlet side of the blower.
Come to think of it you should just use the stock inlet plenum and throttle body flanges and build just the body.

thats basically what im looking to do. I was thinking about ideal size, ect....

Last edited:
Make a fiberglass mold and modify the dogleg to make a more straight shot at the SC inlet.

Jeff

Back