only high speed wipers?????

lostsoul74

Hey guys, finally got my 90 SC back up and running, bought it broken for the motor, but fell in love with it cause it was lowered with rims,tint, and system, decided it would make a good winter ride over my pearl 94 for summer. The wipers have never worked since I got it. The original owner thought it was the wiper switch, the MFS, but after pulling the lower knee panel and testing power, I see that I had power. I grabed another motor from a 92 lx for the wipers, everything plugged in fine, and motor ran when I hit the switch. But after complete bolt in and back together, I found that I in fact only had high speed wipers, adn that they dont automaticly return after stop, I have to time it to stop at the bottom. I've researched a few back posts on this, a few people with the same problem with high speed said they replaced their switches and still same thing. Someone give me the heads up on what they think the issue is. I've still got the extra switch in the trunk I can try, but previous threads say not it. The 92 lx motor looked identical and had the same color wiring from the original plugs that went in, so I'm assuming theyre the same too. Appreciate the help guys.

Try replacing the interval governor which is under the dash near the steering column.

First I want to say....

Hi all, new SC owner here (91 with 24,000 original miles), but a Thunderbird owner for 8+ years. I had a 90 base model.

I want to second the wiper speed governor suggested by J.D. I had the same problem on my '90 bird. It's a little gray box under the dash. If you pop the top of it off you will possibly see the damage inside pretty easily. Mine had a burnt trace that was VERY noticable. I tried to jump the trace with a wire and it was still screwy, but the wipers acted different so I knew for sure it was the problem. I think a new governor was around $50 from Ford.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up gents, yea, figured that was the problem, was hoping maybe thiered be a sensor or relay elsewhere where I might have access too. Tryng to sell it right now, donthave the parts one anymore, and none on ebay, so I guess it will just stay as is, thanks though guys. Eric

Back