Brake System Combination Valve???

SCmeFly

See I have this problem with my SC. I have a puddle of brake fluid coming from below, and it comes straight from what I believe is a combination valve(??) although I'm not actually sure of the correct name on the SC. But anyways, when I put brake fluid into the Master Cylinder, it runs down to this valve, then straight to the garage floor. What I wanted to know was, is this a job that can be done by myself and a relative? And if so, where can I locate this piece and how much will it run me? I am a relatively new (August 2001) SC owner and I'm trying to learn. Help me out.

Can you post any pix of where the leak is coming from? Maybe a bit more details...any lights, brakes feeling funny...anything.

When I get on the brakes, nothing. I have to slam the pedal to the floor to roll to a safe stop. The anti-lock and brake light have been on for the past couple of months, but I have neglected the lights simply because there was no sign of failing brakes. I will provide pictures A.S.A.P. Thanks

oo....u probaly already know that u should have fixed the problem earlier...but no sweat. WE all learned something about our SC's the hard way. The fact that your ABS system is already leaking is kinda worrying me. If that wasnt the fact, there are a few things to replace in order to try and fix your braking problem and before having to change your whole hydraulic unit...and a nice order to do it in is : pump relay, accumulator, pressure switch, and then last, if replacing the previosu parts just didnt work, u might have to replace the unit as a whole. Thats a good order simply b/c its from cheapest to the most expensive..., but with the pix you take and with a bit more info from you the guys here can give you a better diagnostic of what to do first so u dont have to spend as much. Include the year of ur car, symtoms, how long have the lights been on, any recent brake repairs, etc....as much as u can tell us.

Sounds like the same problem I was having. Both lights are probably on because your fluid level is really low. The leak may be from the "pressure switch" threaded into a proportioning valve about a foot below the master cylinder, I think it's to activate the "ride control" based on brake pressure. In Canada the switch runs around $125. Easy 9/16 removal from below, I'd change the o-ring first, but mine leaked out the connector-end. Hope this helps, Steve

Here is a picture of the assembly. You should probably clean it up and get a light in there and try to determine where the fluid is coming from. The resevoir could simply be cracked.

absactuator.jpg

I'm with ya on the parts car theory.

Well bad new guys. I called a parts store and they tell me it's a dealer part. I call a local Blue Oval Ford Dealer and they tell me it's obsolete! Well I Guess the only thing left is you guys. If anyone has an SC they're parting out and they have this piece, please let me know and give me a price on it. I would greatly appreciate it!

hi, I think i can help. Same thing happened to me two days ago, but i was doing 70 on the expressway at the time, yippe

The part on the combination vale is actually called the power steering pressure switch, another example of FOUND ON ROAD DEAD, the frod part number is FOSZ 3N824, 100 bucks from ford and of course it takes 10 days to get, but there is hope go to auto barn have them take out the standard part ref. book tell them it is the one with the pictures tell that the part you need is the power steerin pressure switch, match the ford number to that number in the book and best of all it will only set you back 25 bucks! the stupid switch cracks at the base of the conectors, thats why the brake fluid is dissapeared it should help, all you sc guys should pick one up especially if your car has many miles, good luck! and oh yea dont forget to bleed your brakes when your done

I just replaced my pressure switch in the winter and my *old* mechanic (who will never touch my bird again) had a tough time with the dealership. One guy said it was obselete, the next guy didn't.

I think the actual proportioning valve (the aluminum block that the pressure switch plugs into) is the obselete part, if I'm not mistaken.

I can have a part number for the pressure switch as soon as I get my car back from my *new* mechanic. Or maybe Fast Ed N will read this post and give you a part number.

Back