Strange Buzzing noise???

layinthesmack31

Hey guys, well i had my car all apart to have the heads ported and polished. now i finally got everything back togather and i also wired up a IC fan. Well the problem i am having is i went to give the battery a engine start charge and i got in the car to fire it up and it wouldnt turn over. now when i set the charger to engine start i got this weird buzzing noise coming from my trunk. so i opened the truck and found it to be this black box that sits just below the emergency fuel shut off. I dont know what the box is but i know that is what was buzzing cause when i put my hand on it i could feel it vibrating. I for some reason cant get the car to take a charge and turn over. I have no power cause when i open the door the dome light doesn't come on. i just dont know what to do. i want to get this this running again and everything actually went togather good and i was excited to start it up but then it does this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton guys.

Matt

Well guys here is an update. I unplugged the fuse for the ignition and replugged it back in and then the car seemed to charge for a second and when i went to start the car it buzzed in the dash this time and all the lights kicked on on the dash. This leads me to believe maybe there is a short i have since i hooked up the IC fan. because i had to tap into the ignition wires. I tapped into the the smaller wire that runs into the power distribution box. I guess what i could do is unhook the whole fan and rehook the wires back togather the way they were and see if that makes a difference. But i would like some input if u have any. Any tips and tricks or if this has happened to u before i would love to hear. please help :) thanks

Matt

I came out of work last night and my car started to crank but then my foot slipped off the brake (wet shoes it was raining) well it somehow pissed the car off. Then all the lights went dim and the buzzing in the trunk. Same as you are describing. So I pop the hood and pull the battery out, check the electrolyte level and its up to full. I then pull on the cables a bit (thinking one may be shorting onto something as the positive terminal on my battery was getting warm.)

I put the battery back in and then the car started up and was fine. It has been fine all day and all last night I was out driving.

I don't know if my starter shorted or what when I was cranking. It leaves me scratching my head as to why it would act like a dead battery but I know the alternator works good and the battery is only a year old. Anyways I got mine started and it has been ok now. I just wonder why when I slipped off the safety start switch and then pushed it back down it seemed to draw excessive current. I think I'm going to bypass the brake start switch.

See the difference with mine is that it wont even get to the point where it cranks over because i turn the accessories on then begin to turn it over and before it does anything all the power to the car is gone. I wasnt sitting in the drivers seat when i did it but do u have to have your foot on the brake to start these cars? i didnt know that. i have never heard of that with the car. My guess is that for some reason my wiring came loose for the IC fan and is causing a short or something cause no fuses are blown. What gets me is that damn little box in the trunk that is buzzing haha. I dont even know what the box is and when i put the part # in at motorcraft.com it cant find what it is. I just want to start the dang car so that i can see if there is anything wrong with it after i reinstalled everything after porting and polishing the heads. Well any help is greatly appreciated. thanks again

Matt

layinthesmack31...Being as you just did major engine work, are you 100% sure you got your grounds hooked back up correctly? Your idea about temporarily disconnecting the "custom" wiring job on the IC fan might be a good thing to do also.

The black box you're talkin' about is the Passive Restraint Module, aka the auto-seat-belt-brain-box. Not sure why it's doin' the buzzin' unless you hooked to its circuit in the Power Dist Box under the hood when you wired the fan.

hope this helps,

'bird

Hey whats up
Well the only ground i can remember off hand that i had to disconnect when i took the heads off was the one behind the head and i definetly hooked that one back up cause i remember i almost missed it. the wire i tapped into was a red wire with green down the side. But as for the grounds like i said i only remember the one on the back oth the head that i had to disconnect. Let me know if u think i missed one. thanks again

Matt

You probably got all of 'em connected, good that you checked. As far as the connection for the IC fan, hookin' to the wrong spot on the Power Dist box can do weird things.
I tapped into one of the fuses with my radiator cooling fan and the car wouldn't shut off completely. You could turn the ignition off and remove the key and she would still be running and slowly start to die in a sort've "dieseling" mode.
What was happening? The fan was acting as a generator and keepin' everything alive until the fan blade finally slowed to a stop. Baffled me at first but I knew it had to be (at least probably) sumthin' related to recent work I had done on the car. Changed the wiring and installed a relay, everything worked fine afterwards.

Keep us posted on what you find,

'bird

Ok guys
i unhooked the IC fan and tried to fire up my car and when i go to turn the car over i get a ticking noise which leads me to believe the battery is low since it sat all winter and i am charging it. But what is weird is that when i turn the the key to ACC the fan comes on full speed and the whole dash kinda makes a buzzing noise. I dont get the noise in the trunk anymore like i did before. i only heard it buzz a few times then it quit. so i am not sure where to go from here. a buddy told me to check the starter relay so i dont know how to see if it is good or not. but i am just a little confused why the dash is buzzing now and the fan is on high speed. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Matt

sounds like battery or battery terminal to me if you start the car so many times without going above 15 or 20 mph the fan will come on automaticlly, if all power goes out its a bad connection or bad battery. the only other prob i had was bad brushes in the starter it clicked but still had power to the lights. one time my pos batt termial was touching the hood , and one time my small wire to the neg terminal was bad draining the batt

Last edited:
i did notice that my neg battery terminal has slices in it so that i can see the wiring underneath the insulation. I have never replaced them and if i did are they very difficult to do? thanks for the input. keep it coming :)

Matt

Well here is another update guys. I put the battery back in when it was charged and what happens is that as soon as i turn the key to start the engine all the power goes away. although i did get it to actually crank over a little bit. and once the power went out if i wiggled a battery cable it would come back on and then do the same thing when i tryed to start it. so i hope someone can give me some ideas on what to do next. thanks guys.

Matt

Well i figured it out. Turned out to be a short in the battery. Man i wasnt even gonna check that for some reason i thought that was too simple of a fix haha. That is what working on these cars do to ya always think the worst haha. well thanks for all the input guys.

Matt

Back