Engine block freeze plugs removal

pablon2

Any suggestions on how to get these out? They are the 3/8" square plugs. I've tried everything I can think of with little to no progress. My problem is that I can't get any wrench, vice grip, crescent wrench, or anything else square enough to the plug to get any kind of effective torque on it. I sprayed one with WD-40 about two hours ago, but it hasn't helped any. I may have to leave them for when I take the car in to have the HGs replaced. But I don't know when that'll be exactly as I'm trying to hunt down a pair of ported heads too and won't bring the car in until I have the ported heads in my possession. Any leads on ported heads would be appreciated too! :)

Last edited:
not sure about that, i didnt have one on my car when i did mine, but i noticed you were from minnesota, i live in apple valley...is that anywhere near princeton

aplvlydrtybird said:
not sure about that, i didnt have one on my car when i did mine, but i noticed you were from minnesota, i live in apple valley...is that anywhere near princeton

Ah yes, Apple Valley, the "New Zoo". Princeton is about 60 miles from there. I work in Golden Valley though.

cool cool, not too many mn people on here, whats all your plans on the car, just some heads for it or you going through the entire engine?

Jason Wild said:
Paul,
is this an internal 3/8" if so use a ratchet(sp) in them will take some power to move.

Yes, it's 3/8" internal. I already tried your suggestion, but it'll take more torque to free them than the plug head material can handle. How about if I just remove the lower coolant hose from the block and maybe jack the rear a hair? I bet that'll get rid of most of the coolant, huh?

If your just trying to drain the coolant from the block, you can remove the knock sensor to get most of it out.

David

David Neibert said:
If your just trying to drain the coolant from the block, you can remove the knock sensor to get most of it out.

David

That's on the passenger side by the motor mount correct?

pablon2 said:
That's on the passenger side by the motor mount correct?

It's on the passenger side behind the starter. This thread has a couple pics.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47847&highlight=knock+sensor

BTW, It's not necessary to drain the block when changing the HGs. You can get most of the coolant out by draining the radiator and rest cam be sucked out of the heads with a shop vac once the intake manifold has been removed.

David

Back