94 SC won't start. No spark!!!!!

94redsc

I have a 94 SC 5-Spd that has been down for quite a while now. It started with the car not starting sometimes. It would just click and not even turn over. Somedays it would start other but only rev up to lik 1700rpm but most days it would not. I traced this to be a faulty fuse box and replaced it. Now the car cranks over like crazy but will not start. I have gas but no spark. I replaced the Coil pack and the Cam sensor but it still has no spark. What the heck can I try next?????? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Does the "up arrow" on the dash come on and stay on while you're cranking it? If so, your EEC computer is telling you its not receiving a signal from the crank sensor. Let us know if thats happening and I or someone else can tell you where to look.

My shift light has never worked since I hav owned the car for the past 4 years. How hard is it to change the crank sensor and how much do they run. Could it be the DIS computer?

I called ford and they said that my car does not have a crank sensor and that it has a knock sensor instead. Is this true?

It has a knock sensor but it does have a crank sensor

Not too hard to replace and runs about $60 for parts

TBSEC crank sensor info

You can also remove the crank pulley and replace the sensor.

I did it the first way.

Aaron

The upshift arrow does not usually come on during normal vehicle operation. I have never seen it on my Cougar or SC. However, it should come on when you turn the key in the ignition to start the car. If it stays on while you are cranking then it is the crank sensor if it comes on and goes right out then it is probably not the crank sensor. I hope Ford had your car confused with a 3.8 n/a T-Bird. Otherwise I wouldn't go back there.

Still wont start. I replaced both the cam and crank sensor but it still has zero spark. What can be wrong with this thing? Is there any way to check and see if the computer for the ignition is good or is even getting power?

It may be a long shot, but have you checked your grounds? I have heard other members having problems with them coming loose or breaking. Next may be the ignition module, but that would be a rarity for the 94/95's although not out of the realm of possibility. Also, another long shot, have you scanned your computer for any trouble codes? Usually if the crank or cam sensor or ignition module goes out it will throw a code. If it is the ignition module it might be some weird code that might point you away from it too.

Well I replaced the battery when I replaced the fuse block so any code is probably now lost. I am not sure if you can get a code from a car that will not even start can you? I replaced the coil pack to but it made no difference. What should I look at now? What ground wires?

worth checking!

I'll throw in my .02.How about checking your crankshaft bolt?That's one of the symptom you are refering to.Good Luck.

Check the small black wire near the NEG post of the battery. It will usually have a connector that looks similar to a fuse holder. It will usually be grounded to a small, green headed bolt that is usually near the battery in the core support. It also will probably have another small black wire hooked to it in the eylet terminal the goes to the NEG battery terminal. If this ground isn't connected good, the ECM will not function. It is the ECM ground.

Good luck,
Jimmy

Back