Who measures EGT???

sizemoremk

I'm wondering if I should try to plumb thermocouplers in each header tube, and monitor each of them with a 6 positions switch, or even a little radioshack timed switch that can measure the egt of each cylinder half a second or so at the time....

This may add a little more safety to the entire setup as well...

Is the EGT a linear measuerment where voltage that can be measured with a volt meter???

I see thermocouplers on ebay pretty cheap all the time, I wonder if these can be made up to use for measuring EGT???

Thanks!

I'm wondering if I should try to plumb thermocouplers in each header tube, and monitor each of them with a 6 positions switch, or even a little radioshack timed switch that can measure the egt of each cylinder half a second or so at the time....

-You could but I think that is entirely excessive. The leanest cylinders are going to be #5&6 (closest to the driver) I tapped #6.

This may add a little more safety to the entire setup as well...
-ya

Is the EGT a linear measuerment where voltage that can be measured with a volt meter???
-I would assume so, but you would need to find a spec (calibration) sheet for the thermocouple

I see thermocouplers on ebay pretty cheap all the time, I wonder if these can be made up to use for measuring EGT???
-If they can take 1500 F then go for it. It probably isn't going to be a $5 thermocouple though.

I have one EGT probe on the primary tube for the #3 cylinder. This cylinder was chosen because a) it is one of the leanest, and more importantly b) there was room for the probe. I suppose you could do all 6, but space is very tight around the headers, plus those probes are like $45 each.

Most EGT probes are type-K thermocouples, so you can read them with any DMM that has type-K input. That's how I do it for tuning. If you want to monitor it full time, Autometer has gauges for that.

Back