Fan motor rebuild

scbird1

Well I found out my low speed fan was not working so I took it apart. That was the hard part is you need to cut the crimped ends of the metal. What I found was 2 of the brushes had worn out so im going to clean up the armature with 1000 grit sand paper and solder in some new brushes on the low speed side. Im sure I can get them from a electric motor repair store.
I have never seen anything like this thing and I can see why you dont want to have both running at the same time. Check out the pic`s
One word of caution, dont try to remove the fan blade. They tend to rust to the shaft and dont like to come apart.

Attachments

• DVC00003.JPG
    DVC00003.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 101
  • DVC00004.JPG
    DVC00004.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 98
  • DVC00006.JPG
    DVC00006.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 98
  • DVC00005.JPG
    DVC00005.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
In pic one you will see the tabs are still there so they can be bent to hold the motor back together just like it was.

Found the brushes I needed at of all places Napa. They are for a alt. on a some other kind of car but are the right size so for 6 bucks the fan will be fixed for another 200k.

nice work!

That sure beats $130 bucks for a new motor.
Can you post the part number for those brushes?

thanks
Bob

They are due in tomarrow. Took 2 days to get them. I will post a little how to when its done and works. It will require a little soldering and cutting with a dremel. I tried to take one apart before and destoyed it so you need to be careful.

Here they are. Not the exact same thing but it works perfect. Keep in mind that there are like 3-4 diffent motors that I have seen. I found the same motor on a fan in the junk yard that had a F4 #. Im thinking its out of a newer 4.6 so these might be a direct swap and even the plug in was the same. The shorter brush is form Napa and the other one was what I found in the junk yard smashed but the brushes were perfect.

Attachments

• DVC00014.JPG
    DVC00014.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 64
  • DVC00015.JPG
    DVC00015.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 59
Back