Help, my window has fallen and it can't get up...

XR7Kurt

It's the driver's side and it just slid all the way down. Can someone run through how to get the door panel off the right way, I always seem to bust things up on door panels. Also I'm assuming the window is off it's track, is there a common problem with the windows that causes this? Thanks

Your window will neew to be replaced. the glue that holds the two plastic to the window has let go and I have tried all kinds of glue on these and nothing has worked. The only solution i found was a new window from Ford. They are still available and run about $120.00 It's incredible to me that Ford does not sell the glue or the plastic peices seperately. Sorry for the bad news. Maybe someone on here knows of a better glue but i tried lots of them even glue from an auto glass house. Whateve Ford used is some kind of glue.

Have you tried a glue gun? Those usually form pretty strong glue. Or else, some silicon adhesive might do the trick.. like the kind made for repairing leaks on boats. I had something called marine goop once, that was extremely strong.

I used the epoxy that comes in a double tube syringe applicator available at most auto stores. Use some sand paper to rough up the glass where it fits into that plastic clip. Actually, I replaced the plastic clips with metal clips I got from a window replacement shop.

The TSB

Here's the article from Ford

Article No.
92-11-2 Glass - Front Door - Separates From Glass Bracket

Publication Date: MAY 20, 1992

FORD: 1989-90 THUNDERBIRD
LINCOLN-MERCURY: 1988-90 CONTINENTAL
1989-90 COUGAR

ISSUE:
The front door glass may separate from the glass bracket because of poor adhesive material. A procedure has been developed for refastening the door glass assembly when the bracket separates from the glass. Previously, replacement of the entire glass assembly was required.

ACTION:
Thoroughly clean the glass bracket and reattach it to the glass. Refer to the following procedure for service details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
Remove the glass assembly from the front door. Refer to the 1990 Thunderbird/Cougar Service Manual or the 1990 Continental Service Manual, Section 42-03, for the removal procedure.
Mark the glass for the bracket location before cleaning it.
Thoroughly remove all pink primer from the plastic bracket.
Soak it in a tray filled with General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner (3M #08984) for about twenty (20) minutes.
Use a wire brush to clean the inside wall of the "U" channel plastic bracket.
Clean glass at the bracket location with the same adhesive cleaner.
NOTE: BE CAREFUL NOT TO REMOVE MARKED LINES FOR THE BRACKET LOCATION WHEN CLEANING GLASS.

Reinstall the front door glass assembly. Refer to the 1990 Thunderbird/Cougar Service Manual or the 1990 Continental Service Manual, Section 42-03, for the installation procedure.
Mix and apply 3M two part adhesive system Structural Adhesive (3M #08101) to the inside wall of the "U" channel plastic bracket.
NOTE: THE MIXED ADHESIVE HAS A FOUR (4) TO FIVE (5)MINUTE DRYING TIME. AFTER FOUR (4) HOURS OF CONTINUED CURING TIME AT ROOM TEMPERATURE, THE BRACKET ADHESION WILL MEET THE FORD SPECIFIED PULL TEST. FULL CURE TIME IS 48 HOURS.

Schedule the glass bracket repair for four (4) hours to accommodate the necessary curing time. Advise the customer to restrict use of the window system for a minimum of 48 hours so that full adhesive cure can take place.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
Obtain From 3M Supplier General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner (3M #08984)
Obtain From 3M Supplier Structural Adhesive - 2 Part System (3M #08101)

I tried several times to fix the window on my old Cougar unsuccessfully with every adhesive known to man. I finally just took it to Ford and they used whatever adhesive it is that they use and it has been fine ever since. It was pretty cheap too since I already had the door panel off for them. Give them a try. Dealerships are actually good for stupid crap like that. Just don't go there with any driveline or powertrain problems :)

Thanks for all the info. I am moving to Florida Monday so I just want to get the window in the up position for the trip and then fix it for good when I get there. Assuming I can put the glass back in the track once I get the door panel off, is there any particular thing to be careful with or any tricks to removing the door panel? I know this isn't the most technical repair, but I haven't had good luck in the past with door panel, I always seem to break a piece of plastic or a clip or something.

Try this link:

It is on the MN12 Performance website and has pics:

http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12how-to/stereosystem/stereosystem.htm

There are only a couple of screw to remove and then lift up on the panel. Do not pull out on the panel as it is not clipped to the door. There are plastic tabs that are part of the panel that slide down into holes in the door. If you pull out on the panel (like in the old days) you'll break these plastic tabs and be a very unhappy SC owner!

now what?

OK, I removed the door panel without breaking anything thanks to ya'll. The glass was jammed in the bottom and to get it unstuck I had to take the glass completely out. What is the trick to getting this back in, I remember reading about this a long time ago but can't remember the right way. Thanks again.

Back