how to remove/seal lower IC tube?

bigcletus94

I am going to take the tubes off and re-seal them because I'm pretty sure they are leaking. I know the top tube is a piece of cake, but what is the best way to get out the lower one to seal it? The only way I can think of is to remove the wind-sheid wiper motors and the intake adapter to the lower IC tube and seal it while it is still in the car. Is there a better way? Thanks!

Is it possible that your motor mounts are bad and that's why you don't have the room you need to wiggle the tube very much? If I understand your other posts correctly, you're having a big problem sealing the flange in the pic below?

'bird

icgask16.jpg

icset54th.jpg

Hmm, you shouldn't have to remove all of that stuff just to unbolt it.

I had mine off before I took the cowl off. The IC will move around a bit once you pull the upper tube off and that should give you the clearance to seal the lower tube.

If you want to pull the lower tube out, you need to get the P/S pump out of the way. I'd take the whole accessory bracket off. It's nearly as easy.

Did you get the both bolts off the lower tube?

I was having a hard time with my lower tube until I found the second bolt, you can get to it from under the car.

Aaron

I'm hoping that fixing this pig will be easier when my shop manual get here.

Well, I had some time tonight to reseal all of my tubes with copper RTV. I am going to let it sit tonight and try and start the motor up tomorrow. Maybe that way the RTV will have time to seal good.

I just took off the wiper arms and lower cover and left the motors in. I loosened up the motors though so I could get the intake elbo out and seal it up.

Hopefully, it will run better. Wish me luck! Thanks for all the helpfull responses.

Back