What belt for a/c delete?

SCaddict

I am getting rid of my a/c compressor so I reversed the tensioner and bought a shorter belt. The belt I got was a Gatorback and it is 54.5 inches long. When I put it on the car the belt has about 1/16th of an inch of clearance from the tensioner. I think if I could find a shorter belt the tensioner would not have to take up so much slack and would give me more clearance. For guys that have done this, what belt has worked? I tried to find a 53" belt but the parts stores can't get them. Please help.

SCaddict said:
I am getting rid of my a/c compressor so I reversed the tensioner and bought a shorter belt. The belt I got was a Gatorback and it is 54.5 inches long. When I put it on the car the belt has about 1/16th of an inch of clearance from the tensioner. I think if I could find a shorter belt the tensioner would not have to take up so much slack and would give me more clearance. For guys that have done this, what belt has worked? I tried to find a 53" belt but the parts stores can't get them. Please help.
IM CHECKING W/ MY BUDDY WHO WORKS @ CARQUEST AND ILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT I FIND OUT. JUST CURIOUS, BUT HOW DO YOU REVERSE THE TENSIONER?

I found a belt that fits great. It is a Goodyear Gatorback 4080535. It is an 8 rib and it is 53.5 inches long. I have SCI underdrives so this belt was perfect for me. The next one down was to short and the next up to long. I could not get it at a autoparts store, I had to go to a store that deals with heavy trucks and they had all sorts of them and way cheaper too. As far as the tensioner goes, just grind of the tabs in the back and cut off the tab in the front that acts as a stop. The tensioner will spring back and allow tension to be applied the other way. Do a search on the forums and you will find pictures and more instructions. I would take pictures, but one of my sales staff has my camera.

Back