Want to free up exhaust- need advice!

scbird94

I have a 94 5spd and would like to do a 5% od and a js pulley, as well as an inlet plenum and a cai and 3.55's, but i want to free up my exhaust first. Im kinda new with with exhaust, havent had much experience in that area... basically, i want to free it up. i dont care too much about sound, i like to hear the supercharger and most 3.8's that i hear with exhaust sound to tinny for my taste- so unless i can make it sound like a throaty v8, i would prefer it quiet.

Im looking to spend as little as possible, with the most gains possible. Should i go with a flowmaster cat-back, magnaflow, or just delete the cats altogether? I honestly dont know... What can i do to eliminate the choking effect of our stock exhaust?

I can do alot of the work myself i have a hoist at work i can use as well as access to all the tools i can imagine, so all i need is pretty much a parts list and im ready to proceed

Dylan Roth
St. Cloud, MN

want to free up exhaust

The most benificial and cheapest would probally be porting the exhaust manifolds, and if u dont care about the sound then u can go wiht just about any aftermarket cat back system, there all better than our original, shop around get the best price.

go to texasthunderbirds.com and look at the downtubes, i got a set and they fit on perfect. If you have access, a regular old die grinder can take the "lip" off the inside of the exhaust manifolds. This helps a TON. i just ran myn into a magnaflow resonator. It's loud, but i like it lol. cost a total of round 200$ and helped quite a bit, especially w the 5% pully

From what I've just read the Flowmaster Force 2 cat back is now the only available aftermarket system. Having said that, I would definitely port the stock headers and install new downpipes. I know TexasThunderbirds does both, but you may want to reconsider eliminating the cats (dependant upon the emissions requirements in your State). I sent TT a pair of '94 manifolds I bought off e-bay (for about $35) and he did a nice job porting & painting them. I then bought the SCP 2.1/4" downpipes w/cats & tied that into the Flowmaster system. I have to say I'm pretty pleased with the result & the sound, but I know the 2.1/2" center pipe won't support any additional mods. If only Flowmaster would change that, I think they would sell a lot more T/bird systems.

The Force II gives a nice mellow sound.....Don't forget the chrome tips! :D

Attachments

• cooper.jpg
    cooper.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
I didn't get chrome tips on mine, I just had the aluminum ones that stuck out a tad. I thought it looked stupid with pipes hangning down from my bumper (cuz the ground effects lower the bumper enough as it is.) So I took a cutter and cut the tips off about a 1/2 up under the bumper. Now the car sounds good and looks clean from the back, can't tell there's anything special about the exhaust until you hear me go WOT. Sleeper.

If we had an LX bumper on the back I'd have ran duals straight back.

If the ground effects have lowered the bumper enough as it is...then why did you put 1.5" lowering springs on?

Back