Selling the SC

quick35th

Yeah so I think its time for something different. I am going to sell my 91 SC to a good friend of mine because he wants a good reliable car. Plus this gives me the perfect opertunaty to get something that I have wanted ever since I wrecked my first one. But dont worry I wont be leaving you guys as the 35th is not going anywhere and project blackbird is alive and well. So I still will be a SC brother even though some of you guys will think I am a trader for buying this:

http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c...fuel=&doors=&cardist=349&LNX=ESTAFSRCHUSDTEXT

Shane

quick35th said:
Yeah so I think its time for something different. I am going to sell my 91 SC to a good friend of mine because he wants a good reliable car. Plus this gives me the perfect opertunaty to get something that I have wanted ever since I wrecked my first one. But dont worry I wont be leaving you guys as the 35th is not going anywhere and project blackbird is alive and well. So I still will be a SC brother even though some of you guys will think I am a trader for buying this:

http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c...fuel=&doors=&cardist=349&LNX=ESTAFSRCHUSDTEXT

Shane

So you are going to go ahead with it? I didn't undrstand the part about your friend wanting a reliable car :p , but you enjoy the Stang. I'd like to have another also, I miss my 88 GT.

Yeah the more and more I look at it I know I have to have that stang. It looks just so good. But hey I will have the best of both worlds... a nice fox stang and a bad a$$ 35th when its done. I just hope I dont start thowing money at the stang instead of the 35th.

Shane

I have been wanting a stang bad this past year. But I am fanatical about SC's. So if I bought a stang would the SC's even get driven much? Probably not, and then my parent's would bitch at me about using their driveways as storage for my cars. My girlfriend on the other hand has a Cavalier Z24, she likes it, but likes going fast in the SC. She has been wanting her own SC or a GT. I have enough SC's to go around, so maybe I can talk her into getting a GT, then I can drive it as much as I want, and I still have the SC for driving to work and taking on trips since it is a much nicer riding car.

The good thing about the GT's is the parts are dirt cheap. You can get some headers for under $200, cams are cheap, throttle bodies and intakes are cheap, MAF's are the same cost as SC, You can find used parts cheaper like upper and lower intake manifolds, the rear gears are cheaper to have installed, but the 5-speeds are weak and if you power shift it a lot you'll damage it. I would get a good clutch, and just Micah shift it so you don't blow out the trans. Although if you get enough hp and torque out of the motor it will kill the trans even when its engaged in the gear.

But bang for the buck they are cheap, and you can find them cheap just like SC's now.

So if I can talk Jen into getting a GT (5-speed hard top, no t-tops) I'll probably do some basic bolt ons to it (intake, headers and exhaust, throttle body, maf, maybe used cobra upper and lower intake manifold, e303 cam, 3.73 gears, subframe connectors, aluminum upper and lower control arms, and advance the timing) should run pretty good, but then I will be playing catch up in my SC. I guess I'll tell her if SHE buys the parts I'll install them, that way my SC will be faster for at least a while :)

I wonder if Jen would like some Weld Pro-Star big and littles w/ ET Streets out back???? The rims are pretty cheap too for the stangs.

I am going to wait till I buy a house to get a GN (unless the deal of century knocks on my door) since I know if I got another car I'd park the SC's and they'd lose priority. But once I get some property and a workshop I can store the cars and tinker with them whenever. Drive them whenever I want.

I wish you luck w/ the stang, and they are so simple to get running quick.

Do a search on the 10 minute tune up to get a stock gt 5-speed into the 13's. MM&FF did an article on it years ago. Basically it tells you how to set up your car for the track. I think the LX was what they used since it was lighter, but I bet you could do high 13's or low 14's with a GT.

damn nice stang i must say, and for a nice price. My second option to my 35th would have to be the fox bodied mustangs and thunderbirds. But its good to hear that ur still working on the SC projects.

Hmm I am kinda lately thinking that a 5.0L mustang could be a bad idea only because of age otherwise it would totally be cool. So I am thinking of taking up a car payment and getting a '96-98 Cobra instead. I will keep you guys posted.

Shane

quick35th said:
Hmm I am kinda lately thinking that a 5.0L mustang could be a bad idea only because of age otherwise it would totally be cool. So I am thinking of taking up a car payment and getting a '96-98 Cobra instead. I will keep you guys posted.

Shane

Just remember, any 'Stang you buy will most likely have had the ****-kicked out of it many times over. You gotta watch what you're buying.

I think the rims on that black fox looked like junk.

Dude do yourself a favor, buy something and pay cash for it, or you'll never have the money to build the 35th like you want. Unless you want to live at home forever.

I got out from my car payment (Audi) and was able to get my own place. Its good to not have to worry about a car payment and full coverage insurance payment each month.

Plus since I don't have a car payment, I have more money in my pocket for SC stuff, bills, furniture, stereo equiptment, vacations and car shows, etc...

Thats my advice. Get the fox and pay cash, put on basic insurance, and enjoy it. You'll have more money to build your 35th. If you have a loan on a car (cobra) the lien holder will require you to have full coverage insurance on it incase its totalled or stolen they want to be guaranteed that they will see their money back.

In my case its not that I can't make the car payment on a newer sports car, but with my driving record from the past the insurance was more than the car. Not gonna happen. Why the **** would I pay more for the privelege to drive the car, than I am paying to have my name on the title of it? Its just stupid.

See I may have the same insurance problem as well. I have a decent driving record... no speeding tickets but two accidents. I just cant wait for 2007 because thats when my insurance goes back to normal and I get a 03-04 cobra. I dont know, maybe I will keep the SC around for a little longer. It would be a hell of alot better if it was a 5spd SC though.

Shane

Well instead of blowing about $600-800 a month (payment and ins.) why not just save up $500 and get yourself a Lentech valvebody to put in your auto. It takes about 45 minutes to install and you will be like "5-speed??? I can hit gears quicker and don't have wheel hop". Trust me on this. My friend was in the same boat, wanted to swap a 5-speed. I let him drive my 92. From a roll he liked it, but from a hard launch it was all over. He then ordered the Lentech. We raced. Every time I went to shift he pulled on me. At the time my SC had no cats, and a K&N panel filter. So basically stock. His had a K&N panel filter, coy miller stage 1 cam, and the lentech, still had cats and stock exhaust.

W/ the cam he could hang with from a roll for a bit but when it came time for the slushbox to shift I'd inch ahead and take him. From a dead stop it was a joke I'd kill him. After the lentech swap I'd still take him in the 1/4 mile but he hung much better and would end up at about my door handle when before I'd have about a half car lenth between my back bumper and his front.

If it gets into gear quicker it keeps pulling rather than slipping between shifts. Also my 5-speed I let up for each shift after the 1-2.

Now though his car versus mine wouldn't be close but mine has had more parts installed.

I'm planning to get my lentech valvebody in the next month or so once I move back up north. I can't wait, my transgo sucks, I can't hold 2nd gear and it will shift into OD while the shifter is in D at wot around 95 mph. Thats not good for my OD band. So I don't race this car or dyno it yet. I will once I get the new valve body. Then the other mods will start once I have baseline dyno and et.

Last edited:
See my whole problem with the automatic is I have no OD... I blew it up while being chased at over 125mph on a country road heading up to Detroit for the autoshow. Yes I know it was stupid and all but the fact still remains I have no OD and I dont think it is worth the money to swap in a decent built tranny with zero miles on it.

Shane

Variety is the spice of life. Also breathes fun back into the other car since you get the contrast of driving something else sometimes. $3500 isn't too risky either for a fun car.

Yeah thats true.

Hmm I dont know what to do. If I could get the car payment under 200 a month I would be happy. I probably should just wait to buy the 03-04 cobra in 2007 intead of getting a cobra now. I just have the V8 bug really bad. I guess thats why one is going in the 35th.

Shane

If your gonna take out a loan for a car take a personal loan for your sc and make it mint. Thats what I'm doing, but I'v been told I do stupid things

Back