Easy(?) idle/IAC question

Ratskinny

Good-day,
I know this is a heavily, perhaps too much spoken about topic and i have search and learned, just need a couple quick answers. My car (just fresh off new HG's, rod and main bearings, motor mounts and plugs/wires) idles rough (more so when warm) varying between around 700-1000 rpm, just before the idle "surges" i can hear a muffled click sound from the engine, does this problem sound like a bad IAC? I have read about unplugging it to check, ... :eek: where is the IAC located, i can just unplug the harness wire going into it is my assumption? If it helps any im still breaking it in but pull about 21 vac at idle and more like 25(?) if im coasting in gear, i havent pushed hard but have yet seen the boost over around 6lbs(think i may have to look into that after idle cured) Thanks again, hopefully as usual this forum will help me immensely and as always any and all answers are appreciated. peace, shane
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Well i checked th IAC and it made the motor run rough then would have died but i attached it, what i did discover though is that the problem is with the a/c pulley, when ever the heater or a/c is on i get the pulsing surging idle as the a/c pulley (im assuming its in some way clutched) engages and disengages and this results in the inconsistant idle. I will do a more defined search for this, but please let me know if this is an easy problem to pinpoint/explain. Thanks

Last edited:
I am not much help, but i can commit that it took my lifters a significant amount of time/miles to pump up fully. The problem, might, go away.. lol

T-bird4vr said:
I am not much help, but i can commit that it took my lifters a significant amount of time/miles to pump up fully. The problem, might, go away.. lol

About the IAC -- I've got a picture for ya -- it's circled in yellow (I just replaced mine) - I stole a power steering pump photo :p

Attachments

• iac.JPG
    iac.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 109
Right on, thanks Lvcien, thats perfect now i can try un-pluging that and see how that goes at least. Thanks as well about the lifters, time will tell on that one i guess :rolleyes: If anyone else sees this and has anything to add id still be glad to hear it.

Back