no power????

rzibilske77

What is it when you go to a shop to have work done and when you leave you have more problems then what you went in for.
Heres the deal, I try to start my car it clicks once then is completly dead, battery has been tested ..very good.
No dash light,,nothing no power with battery being full?
if i disconnect the terminal for a few and hooked it back up i will have power again on key on, but if i try to start i get one click & all power goes out...i mean nothing...any ideas?

I'd just try cleaning both battery terminals and retighten them also. My 90 tbird did the same exact thing all the time. It acted like it had a dead battery so I'd try to jump it only to get power (dome light, etc) until I hit the key only to get the "click". Then I'd check the battery with a meter and see that it was fine. This would happen even when everything was tight and clean. It was really picky for some reason.

I would try that but the terminals are very clean & so tight i could hardly get loose. I can't see that being a problem since i get power at first & just when i try to turn it over do i lose everything.......thx though

gfxbird said:
I'd just try cleaning both battery terminals and retighten them also. My 90 tbird did the same exact thing all the time. It acted like it had a dead battery so I'd try to jump it only to get power (dome light, etc) until I hit the key only to get the "click". Then I'd check the battery with a meter and see that it was fine. This would happen even when everything was tight and clean. It was really picky for some reason.

mostly when mine clicked meant my brushes were toast in the starter but if lights go out sounds like battery terminals , one time my pos terminal was touching the hood and shorting , and one time the small ground wire to my negative terminal was bad draining my battery i think it was turning my cooling fan on somehow , i added an extra ground wire from negative battery to the fender and no more dead battery

do tell why it was in the shop ...I wouldn't be surprise ...if it's related to work done on the car ...you can try this ..to test starter/ relay ...mounted by battery ... the treminals with nuts on them ..short across with screw driver or wrench ...that will ingauge the starter .. key does not have to be in the ignition ..if a 5 speed make sure it's in neutral ..as not to get run over ...if it does turn over.. problem is likey with the relay.. since you have just bypassed it ...if it doesn't turn over then starter is problem ...could be just a bad connection ..or a short internal....dave

Actually it was in the shop for the tranny cable adjustment, it was damn near about to fall off the tranny causing major shifting issues.
Come to find out late last night after testing battery, alt., starter..etc, it is the cables so now they are being replaced, so thx to all who thought that was it :)

MercsSC said:
do tell why it was in the shop ...I wouldn't be surprise ...if it's related to work done on the car ...you can try this ..to test starter/ relay ...mounted by battery ... the treminals with nuts on them ..short across with screw driver or wrench ...that will ingauge the starter .. key does not have to be in the ignition ..if a 5 speed make sure it's in neutral ..as not to get run over ...if it does turn over.. problem is likey with the relay.. since you have just bypassed it ...if it doesn't turn over then starter is problem ...could be just a bad connection ..or a short internal....dave

Back