89XR7 vs. 03 GT Mustang

Quick Cat 89

OK...my buddy has a 03 GT Mustang with nothing done to it except a cone filter...iv got an 89 XR7 5sp...i honestly thought at first he was going to smoke me because all i had done was a 10% pulley and some good free flowing exhaust. we lined up four straight times in a row and i gave her hell cause i wasnt about to go down without a good fight. we were dead even 3 times and the fourth time i was getting the hang of it and i pulled him till he was at my rear bumper!!!!!! he was hating it sooooo bad!!! i have never had so much fun doing anything in my life than taking a 4000 pound 6cyl family car and eating a 2003 "GT" mustang. he was freaking ringing that cars guts out...lol it was smoking black and he hit rev limiter once...hahahahahaha! now that i rebuilt the tranny, B&M ripper shifter and put all NEW rear suspension and 327 gears he wont even line up with me....it's just freaking awesome. i love my car!!!!!! :D

Quick Cat 89 said:
OK...my buddy has a 03 GT Mustang with nothing done to it except a cone filter...iv got an 89 XR7 5sp...i honestly thought at first he was going to smoke me because all i had done was a 10% pulley and some good free flowing exhaust. we lined up four straight times in a row and i gave her hell cause i wasnt about to go down without a good fight. we were dead even 3 times and the fourth time i was getting the hang of it and i pulled him till he was at my rear bumper!!!!!! he was hating it sooooo bad!!! i have never had so much fun doing anything in my life than taking a 4000 pound 6cyl family car and eating a 2003 "GT" mustang. he was freaking ringing that cars guts out...lol it was smoking black and he hit rev limiter once...hahahahahaha! now that i rebuilt the tranny, B&M ripper shifter and put all NEW rear suspension and 327 gears he wont even line up with me....it's just freaking awesome. i love my car!!!!!! :D
good man, put those GT's in their places, i line up with em all the time, and i'm bone stock. I have a rebuilt engine and rebuilt tranny, but no mods....i usually run dead even or have my nose at their front tire, they can't believe that an old 89 t-bird with a v6 could hang with them let alone stay DEAD even haha

Quick Cat 89 said:

I am sorry to imform you of this but your buddy cant drive worth anything if he got beat by you or you have more mods than you think because his car should be a high 13 sec car compared to your low 15 sec car. Possibly his car was running on 6 cylinders then you might win. Maybe he was just letting you win or could it have been that you were racing against a V6 clone.

Shane

Thats awesome man. I usually mess with them on the interstate a little but there really not that impressive. Good job bro. :D

i aint seeing that man

quick35th said:
I am sorry to imform you of this but your buddy cant drive worth anything if he got beat by you or you have more mods than you think because his car should be a high 13 sec car compared to your low 15 sec car. Possibly his car was running on 6 cylinders then you might win. Maybe he was just letting you win or could it have been that you were racing against a V6 clone.

Shane

I think you got him fair and square, those GT's are overrated and we are underrated, nice kill man :]

quick35th said:

Shane

I will second that...any 99 up GT should be in the high 13's with a good driver..

quick35th said:

Shane

You are right Shane and this should be common sence around this board. :rolleyes:

kommun sence sez

dirtybird91 said:
You are right Shane and this should be common sence around this board. :rolleyes:

I have just spent three hours in my Webster's Dikshunerry trying to find the word "sence" can someone help? My brain hurts.

2 things, either the stang was older, or his Cougar has a late model blower...then I'd believe he could hang with him, & if the driver of the GT can't launch with toasting his tires then anythings possible.

I know my wifes 93 5 spd SC with stock gears, exhaust, s-port & 38s will run with a 99-04 GT. Altitude may be my ally, but I've done it...

i hate to inform you Quick 35th. that is an 03' gt and he is one of my best friends and it is a 4.6L. it will no way in hell run a high 13. he had a 100 shot of nitrous and only ran a 13.5. i dont know why you people think these cars are so fast. they are way overrated. i ran the holy **** out of the stang with him in my car and the exact same results. he wants my car instead of his because my insurance is way cheaper and mine IS faster. i got him fair and square. you can say what you want....i know i got him. he ran the **** out of it. lol.... i can get him from a roll too...it dont have to be a hole shot...i think my xr7 is impressive for just the few mods that i have... it runs solid in the high 14's. i shifted every gear without lifting off the gas and i still couldnt take my car with him driving it. next time ill video it for you guys if you need that much proof. these cars are in now way impressive. i was disappointed. no 03 gt stock will run in the high 13's. the best he ran without nos is a 15.0. i didnt say i smoked him anyways i just pulled on him a little the whole run. thats a win in my book.

Last edited:
the best he ran without nos is a 15.0.

Quick Cat.
Where are you located. The only place I've seen a 03 stang run that slow is above 3000ft.
If what you say is true about your mods, your car is a freak.
I for one do know what your saying is possible, but it should take more than the mods you list to get you there.
I live in CO. at 3900' , & the 99-03 cars typicaly run 15.0 whereas an SC with the mods you list typicaly run 15.2-15.9. As I mentioned before my wifes 5 speed will run 15.0-15.2 with the mods it has, on street tires.
With some Dag radials, and a good burnout it will run 14.6
The rest of you low elevation guys need to realize even a 2002 Camaro SS(stock) on street tires at this (high) elevation is lucky to see a 14.6 whereas I've seen the same run mid 13s at low elevation tracks.
My 92 CMRE powered SC putting down a solid 340rwhp/400+ tq only occaisionaly sees 13.4s, in cooler air. Its also one of the quicker cars in our sportsman class where the cutoff is 13.0
What I'm getting at is a forced induction car, turbo or supercharged has a huge advantage over N/A cars, when at higher elevations.

If elevation is not a factor in this situation then his car must have a billion miles on it and its been used and abused. I mean with a 100 shot of the giggle juice it should have atleast been close to the 12s if it hooked. One of my friends has a '99 GT 5spd thats close to stock. I guess my '91 SC 15.2sec all stock automatic beater car would come close to him then right? Sounds like your friends stang motor is down on some power because it sounds like its been to hell and back. I am just going to have to race my buddy with the GT and see what happens.

Shane

nope...it sure isnt down on power. its not like i smoked him or anything. i just outran him fair and square. elevation might have something to do with it. it was a cool day and the car was running good. it was an even line up. i didnt jump the gun or anything. im just tellin the story for everybodys enjoyment. if you dont believe me its no big deal. everybody around town knows it happened though. its funny though how everybody else that posted t old me that those cars are overated and not that impressive except you???? go run your buddy...you'll probably be surprised..ya never know. the cars just aint all they should be. he was pissed when i got him...i know that. i got him from a roll too and he jumped me. he ran his car very hard because he hit rev limiter on the first run because he wasnt expecting me to stick with him let alone outrun him. thats what he told me...he was a good sport about it though. were good buds that just like to tinker with our toys. at least everybody else that posted on this knows those cars arent all bad like everybody thinks. and the car is definately not abused...its babied except on the weekends when we go out to smoked the ricers..lol :D

im telling u dude.. those cars arent that fast... my friend in his RICED out 97 INTEGRA can beat them and i can burn his *** even worst...

darkstar_one said:
im telling u dude.. those cars arent that fast... my friend in his RICED out 97 INTEGRA can beat them and i can burn his *** even worst...

I dont know what the big deal in admitting that a stock stang will beat a stock SC...I used to think that back in my SC days myself but got sick and tired of dumping money into the poor 10 year old car and decided to go to the dark side. You can compare both cars at different levels, i.e. weight, engine hp, acceleration etc and there is just no way a stock SC will beat a stock Mustang. I will always love Super Coupes and to this day I wish I still had one in my possession but facts are facts and it's time to start living them...

Facts are facts, but be a bit more specific...its a well known fact the 94-95 SC made more power than 95-97 GTs with the 4.6 & they will beat them in a heads up race including top end.
As far as the 99+ GTs , thats a given making 260 hp.
Its also been discussed by several engineers who worked for FORD that even the early SCs were somewhat detuned to keep them from stepping on the GTs toes.

ok lets look at it this way. based on the numbers i have; the 2001 mustang cobra is 320 horse 317 torque rated that ran 13.5 1/4 mile stock. now the 03 mustang gt is rated at 260 hp and 302 torque but is 200 pounds lighter then the 01 cobra. however i have the
99 gt specs for 1/4 at 14.1 and it is rated same hp and torque as the 03 gt. now if you have a driver that doesn't know how to drive you should see mid to high 14s with the gt.

Back