Engine flush fluid?

pablon2

Someone was describing to me a product that has the consistency of oil, but is clear. My understanding is that I am to put 5 qts of this stuff into the engine (in place of oil) and run it a couple mins to clear out the residual coolant in my engine and to clean/recoat the bearings and rods etc, due to the HGs having blown. Does anyone know the name of this stuff? I have checked several parts stores and they only have additives, which this stuff is not.

Thanks....

Your....

You can not recoat bearings or save a bottom end by running an oil substitute in your motor. Anything that "cleans" the engine is taking all the old crap and circulating it through the motor. That is NOT GOOD!!!

My recommendation is to put in 5 quarts of motor oil and run for a few minutes and then, dump it and fill with fresh oil. If your afraid of engine damage, LUCAS engine oil stabilizer is a great additive.

Good luck,

Don

lube70 said:
You can not recoat bearings or save a bottom end by running an oil substitute in your motor. Anything that "cleans" the engine is taking all the old crap and circulating it through the motor. That is NOT GOOD!!!

My recommendation is to put in 5 quarts of motor oil and run for a few minutes and then, dump it and fill with fresh oil. If your afraid of engine damage, LUCAS engine oil stabilizer is a great additive.

Good luck,

Don

So, this Lucas oil stabilizer should be added to the 5qts that I run through the engine for a few mins and then drain? Or is the stabilizer an ongoing additive that people put in with every change? How does just runnning oil through the engine rid it of the residual coolant? Oil won't bind to the coolant that is why I figured I'd use something that'll bind to it. Or is this one of those lesser of two evil things? Meaning, things may get loosened up and trapped where I don't want them to be if I decide to "scrub" the engine with a coolant/oil binding cleaner so it's better to just run some fresh oil through it and then drain?

Here's what I would do....

I would run the 5 qts through the engine. Any extra coolant will get pushed out by the motor oil. Coolant does not "stick" to any parts. It mixes with motor oil when head gaskets go causing the oil to become Caustic and erode the bearings.

Running the fresh oil through the motor will ensure the engine is clean and oil is getting to the bearings. Changing the filter also is a necessity.

After doing this, I usually, in higher mileage engines, run the LUCAS OIL STABILIZER in the oil.

This helps keep the oil viscosity up and help bearings. Nothing is going to help bearings that are going bad. Coolant is very hard on bearings and engine parts.

The flush thing is the "lesser or two evils" deal. The flush more than likely would just take all the "crap" and put it into lifters and other critical parts. You want oil in there, not cleaner. What would get the cleaner out?????

Don

lube70 said:
I would run the 5 qts through the engine. Any extra coolant will get pushed out by the motor oil. Coolant does not "stick" to any parts. It mixes with motor oil when head gaskets go causing the oil to become Caustic and erode the bearings.

Running the fresh oil through the motor will ensure the engine is clean and oil is getting to the bearings. Changing the filter also is a necessity.

Don

Thanks for the response. I know what to do now. One last question.....will running the car for those few mins put oil into my radiator via the leaky headgasket and into the jacket? Is it ok to run the car with no coolant in it? What will the water pump run on?

Are the..

Are the gaskets fixed yet???? If not, DO NOT RUN THE CAR!!!!. This will further damage the engine. Drain the oil from the car and fix the gaskets. Running the car at all with blown gaskets will further the damage possibly already done.

I would suggest that IF YOU HAVE TO.....Put in 5 qts of fresh oil and start engine and run for about 20 seconds (new filter also), without the serpentine belt on. This will let no water circulate and get fresh oil to the bearings.

Again, I would just fix the gaskets and not run the car at all right now...

Just my .02

Don

lube70 said:
Are the gaskets fixed yet???? If not, DO NOT RUN THE CAR!!!!. This will further damage the engine. Drain the oil from the car and fix the gaskets. Running the car at all with blown gaskets will further the damage possibly already done.

I would suggest that IF YOU HAVE TO.....Put in 5 qts of fresh oil and start engine and run for about 20 seconds (new filter also), without the serpentine belt on. This will let no water circulate and get fresh oil to the bearings.

Again, I would just fix the gaskets and not run the car at all right now...

Just my .02

Don

I haven't fixed the gaskets yet, but was told that having some coolant sitting in there can be bad so I was going to flush it. The thing is, I don't know when I'll be having the heads swapped and the gaskets replaced. It could be a month and most things I've read and most people I've chatted with said I'd most likely be fine, but it is best to have no coolant in the block. I have pulled the drain plug. If it is okay to let sit as is for a month then I'd actually prefer to do that. I'm pretty certain I haven't hurt anything yet and I don't wanna start to do damage now.

Back