Cleaning your MAF!!!!!!!!!!!

coolhand

Ok.........
My car has been running poorly...noticed it real bad last weeks meet...bogs down big time when its cold..........and just doesnt have the "zip".
Was perusuing the TCCOA and decided to clean the MAF..............Does it really make that much difference. The damned thing was black!!!!!!!!!! Used some GM contact cleaner, a cut down QTIP and Some TLC, and she is shiny and new. Took her out on the highway for a quick run to the max, and man, what a difference. Live and learn.

Yeah, I needed to clean my MAF to get through smog last August. Made a big difference.

Jon

Really made a difference. eh? I have a very irritating miss at idle. It occurs about every 20 seconds. It ain't plugs, wires, fuel filter or injectors. they've all been cleaned or replaced and the air way is clean. I haven't touched the MAF. mine is a C&L 73MM. Same cleaning procedure as stock I would suggest??

Coolhand - Could you please post the link for the rest of us?

Herndon VA!! I travel there frequently to Tandberg USA. I'm in the video conferencing industry. Small world. I'll message on my next trip and we can possibly hook up. Maybe I'll get the Boss to fund a drive down there instead of a flight to Dulles........

Matt it's the oil from your new air filter such as K&N filter geting on the maf I clean mine after I clean my airfilter about a week later.

Thats good advice about the K&N Filter....It seems that many people over oil the filter after they clean it, and a lot of the residue deposits itself on the MAF. This has led me to a simple thought(as most of mine are). It seems to be a lot of the simple things which we overlook that cause the most probs. The 4.6's dont seem to have as many inherent probs as the S/C's, but they both need to be maintained regularly, i.e-proper plugs, wires, oil changes, or all fluids for that matter. I even checked the tire pressures and found a discreptancy in two of them, which could lead to poor handling, poor tire wear, and ultimate failure. Since I dont drive the BlacBird as much as I used to, I need to be a bit more diligent about these things.
BTW, here is a link to the MAF Cleaning Article from the TCCOA. Please be careful. Those wires are so tiny. I sprayed them with the cleaner, let them sit for a minute or two, sprayed them again, then, like I was cleaning a watch, I removed what was left with a slimmed down QTIP............Man there was a lot of crap in there. Again, I re-iterate, BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(the above info was provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as professional advice................LM*AO.)
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/intake/mafclean.html

HoseHead said:
Really made a difference. eh? I have a very irritating miss at idle. It occurs about every 20 seconds. It ain't plugs, wires, fuel filter or injectors. they've all been cleaned or replaced and the air way is clean. I haven't touched the MAF. mine is a C&L 73MM.

I don't know about the miss. I have the annoying light miss at idle all the time and have given up trying to get rid of it. There has been lots of discussion at various times about it but I've never seen a solution. I just live with it. It's not really a problem, just quite annoying.

I love this quote from the MAF cleaning article..........

"If you break a wire you are screwed."

Well said!

Jon

coolhand said:
Thats good advice about the K&N Filter....It seems that many people over oil the filter after they clean it, and a lot of the residue deposits itself on the MAF. This has led me to a simple thought(as most of mine are). It seems to be a lot of the simple things which we overlook that cause the most probs. The 4.6's dont seem to have as many inherent probs as the S/C's, but they both need to be maintained regularly, i.e-proper plugs, wires, oil changes, or all fluids for that matter. I even checked the tire pressures and found a discreptancy in two of them, which could lead to poor handling, poor tire wear, and ultimate failure. Since I dont drive the BlacBird as much as I used to, I need to be a bit more diligent about these things.
BTW, here is a link to the MAF Cleaning Article from the TCCOA. Please be careful. Those wires are so tiny. I sprayed them with the cleaner, let them sit for a minute or two, sprayed them again, then, like I was cleaning a watch, I removed what was left with a slimmed down QTIP............Man there was a lot of crap in there. Again, I re-iterate, BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(the above info was provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as professional advice................LM*AO.)
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/intake/mafclean.html

The broken wire quote is correct. Just kidding!!

Cleaned the sensors as indicated in the article. Mine were somewhat dirty (oil from K&N) but not too bad under a magnifying light. I didn't remove the sensor from the MAF housing and just sprayed the windings with electrical contact cleaner and then EVER SO GENTLY touched the windings with a QTip. First gentle swipe created a small black spot on the fuzz. Nothing after that.

THE IDLE MISS IS GONE!!! :eek:)

Actual cleaner is:

Manufacturer:GC Electronics
Product: Static Free Contact Kleen II

No residue. Any electronic distributor should carry this or similiar product.

Thanks for the tip, Coolhand.

I wounder if this is how a K&N gives you better KM to a tank of gas. since the wires get dirty this giving it a wrong reading and leaning the motor out. :confused:

You can also use the CRC Electra-Motive cleaner-available at just about any parts store and probably a little cheaper than something from a electronic distributor.

I also clean mine about a week after cleaning and re-oiling my filter-one thing I learned is spray the oil on the underside of the filter, turn it over and lay it on a towel-the oil will actually percolate through the gauze, and leave a almost perfect oiling job-that's how K&N used to tell you to oil their filters-I've used K&N since 1978.

If I remember correctly, the K&N I had in my Firebird gave the same directions. I have been using them in my cars for a long time. Never had any probs with them. Its kinda like anything, you just get used to it. The Maf thing was just from not paying attention to what others had posted.

Back