PDA

View Full Version : Temperature having MAJOR effect on power

LightEMup
05-04-2005, 07:38 PM
I learned the other day about how the eec adjusts the timing according to the temperature. On a cold day my car winds up really good and pulls hard, on a warm day its really doggy and it feels like a 2 ton trailer is behind me....with an eec tuner can u keep it from not adjusting the timing so much? (12 degrees) without doing damage to your moter? because i would love it if my car ran like it does on a cool day all the time

rlong
05-04-2005, 09:42 PM
i dont think its all timing but yes you can adjust timing with the tuner . with a sc or turbo you get about 10 more horsepower for every 10 degrees cooler ,mainly because cooler air holds more gas, with the tuner i added about 2 degrees of timing and leaned out my air fuel ratio and it felt like about 20 more hp

metalman
05-05-2005, 12:04 AM
WOW- 10hp for every 10 degree cooler?! Are you sure about that?
I just had my car dyno with a prototype CAI from JLT and my low speed fan doesn't work so the dyno was done with my car at "M" on the temp gauge and I thought I still got some pretty damn good numbers. When I remedy my heating problem, I should see another 20 hp by your calculations then. :eek:

Check the results out! I know you've been waiting, LightEMup. :)

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62110

Metalman

007_SuperCoupe
05-05-2005, 02:02 AM
Just to clarify...a 10* drop in intake temp translates into a 1% gain in hp. Not 10 hp. It would take a 50* drop in temp for your average stock SC to pick up 10 hp.

Timing does play a critical role. As intake temps rise, timing is pulled. Once the IC gets heatsoaked, your through. No more cooling there. And it happens sooner than people think. I've seen intake temps rise to 150* during a dyno session...power kept slipping away...He started over 230 rwhp and by then was only able to pull 205 rwhp. A quality aftermarket IC and fan will negate much of the need for a "tuner" which I don't suggest in the first place. Timing isn't pulled until intake temp rise. A better IC will keep intake temps lower so timing will not be pulled by the EEC. A good tune to get you going will help tremendously too. I suggest an SCT tune (chip) since SCT has the best accesability to the EEC controls. Any other tuner will get around 1/2 the functionality. That's where I'd spend my money...Oh wait I did...

LightEMup
05-05-2005, 07:57 PM
Just to clarify...a 10* drop in intake temp translates into a 1% gain in hp. Not 10 hp. It would take a 50* drop in temp for your average stock SC to pick up 10 hp.

Timing does play a critical role. As intake temps rise, timing is pulled. Once the IC gets heatsoaked, your through. No more cooling there. And it happens sooner than people think. I've seen intake temps rise to 150* during a dyno session...power kept slipping away...He started over 230 rwhp and by then was only able to pull 205 rwhp. A quality aftermarket IC and fan will negate much of the need for a "tuner" which I don't suggest in the first place. Timing isn't pulled until intake temp rise. A better IC will keep intake temps lower so timing will not be pulled by the EEC. A good tune to get you going will help tremendously too. I suggest an SCT tune (chip) since SCT has the best accesability to the EEC controls. Any other tuner will get around 1/2 the functionality. That's where I'd spend my money...Oh wait I did...
so would a double IC w/ a fan solve my problem?

LightEMup
05-05-2005, 07:58 PM
WOW- 10hp for every 10 degree cooler?! Are you sure about that?
I just had my car dyno with a prototype CAI from JLT and my low speed fan doesn't work so the dyno was done with my car at "M" on the temp gauge and I thought I still got some pretty damn good numbers. When I remedy my heating problem, I should see another 20 hp by your calculations then. :eek:

Check the results out! I know you've been waiting, LightEMup. :)

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62110

Metalman
damn, i'm amazed by those results! count me in for buying one!

007_SuperCoupe
05-05-2005, 08:01 PM
so would a double IC w/ a fan solve my problem?

It would definately help. There's no question about it. I'd also suggest a tune as well. Not a tuner, but a SCT chip.

And just a reminder...10* drop in temp = 1% gain in HP. Not an arbitrary value of 10 hp.