JLT Performance CAI dyno results!

metalman

OK, right to the facts:

I'll have the dyno chart up later tonight. I am not at a computer with a scanner right now.

Before CAI install-

RWHP- 220
RWTQ- 323

(See my mods below)

After JTL CAI install

Peak RWHP- 230.5 @ 4400 RPMs
Peak RWTQ- 318 @ 3600 RPMs

Max RWHP increase- 25 @ 4600 RPMs
Max RWTQ increase- 28 @ 4600 RPMs

They said I was running lean towards the end of the run. If I get my chip tuned to help with the fuel then I will see greater gains.

I, personally am very happy with the results and will probably be taking their advise and get a chip soon. I'll post dyno chart tonight! See ya then.

Metalman

Thanks for the use of the car today Anthony. I too was very impressed with the results.
Just want to note. The TQ #'s are lower because the car makes most of it's TQ down low. Dynoing a auto is tough to try to find the "sweet" spot where it won't down shift when you hit it. We tried more runs, but the car was getting heat soaked and the knock sensors were jumping in and pulling timing. We ran out of time.
But seeing the major gains through out the RPM range you can be sure if we were able to match the start RPM the TQ gain would be substantial.

Anyway, he will be posting the graph tonight so you all can take a look.

One question: He has a 70mm TB and I know many run a 75. Is the OD of the 75 the same as the 70? The reason I ask is his 70 was thick. The coupler I use is slightly larger then 75mm ID and it was a good, but tight fit.

Thanks
Jay

So Jay,

You're saying that because you started the last dyno up higher in the RPM range, we didn't see the full range of the TQ numbers and I actually gain TQ? But, due to the temp of the car you were playing it safe...I appreciate that :D

I plan to remedy that fan issue ASAP. So, with the car running at cooler (normal) temps, do you think I would see higher numbers?

I'll get my car back on the dyno after I remedy my cars idiosyncracies.

Anthony, do you have saturday off? I am available all day saturday and would be more than happy to help you wire up a relay and a switch for your low speed fan just like I have on my SC. When I have the fan running it never gets past N on the gauge. Think about how much more power your car will make if you keep the temps under 200 degrees. The high speed fan doesn't come on until 228 and shuts back off at 219 degrees. Isn't that scary!!!! Thats too frickin' hot. I think your car would have been closer to 240 hp w/ the engine cooler. You saw the decrease from the heat, I am not sure what that was but you have your graphs, so imagine keeping the car cooler even on your best pull. Plus wiring up a switch for the fan is cheap head gasket insurance!!

We can go to Auto Zone and get a switch for about $2.00 and a relay for about $4.00. Then you need some wire, red and black 10 gauge, and a pair of strippers and a few ring terminals and spade terminals. It will take me about 30-45 minutes to hook it all up, but then when the car starts to get near the O on the gauge you can flip the switch on and the temp will drop.

My car normally runs cool unless its in traffic then I turn the fan on. But I can drive from Chesapeake to the Ocean front and never use the fan and my car stays cool. I guess my head gaskets have a damn good seal, this is also w/ a 190 degree t-stat. I had to put that back in because with my 160 the heater wasn't very warm. I also have a new water pump and radiator. My car runs really cold. And yes I have a new temp sending unit too so I know its accurate. I'll be adding a-pillar temp and voltage gauges soon so I can monitor the exact temps and see how accurate my gauge is.

My black car on the other hand ran hot like yours till I did the fan mod and now it stays around the O in the summer on hot days.

He isn't talking about peak hp gains, he is talking about on the graph where it gained the most. The two peaks on the graphs was 10.5 rwhp but at other points on the graph the highest was 25 hp. At 4600 rpms it was 25 hp higher after the intake than before. The car straight up made more power all the way with this intake, it didn't lose in some spots and gain a little at the peak, it made more low rpm to high rpm. So in driving it the car pulls noticeably harder. Maybe you misunderstood his post by reading the "max gain" and comparing it to the peak rwhp figures.

Scott- I have prior engagement from 11:00am thru the evening. I would love to do it thought. Are you off Sunday? I'll call you, maybe we can figure out a time to get up. Thanks a lot!!

Thanks for coming!

Jay- Can I have one of those nifty "JLT Performance" stickers to don on my CAI :D

BTW- You're CAI was on my car from the dyno pulls, then I left to go to Norfolk...a good 25 minute interstate trip and I felt the CAI after I got to my girlfriends house and it was as cool as a cucumber! You could still freeze ice on that thing. AWESOME.

I thing I did not check was what my gains were in lbs of boost. Do you know Jay?

Jason- what numbers don't sound right to you? I'm reading right off the chart. I'll post the chart tonight. ;)

scott helped me by undrestaning how you got your max gain.
I would real like to look at adding one to may car as well I sure can use a gain like that on my car.

Now I think hed sell more of these if it kept mass air in engine compartment with a sheild..and a nive 9 inch High flow filter..It even make betetr power that way.

Several people had asked for this type setup...Think it be a good idea to make one maybe? "O)~

I don't see where you have upgraded injectors. It is very possible that you are running out of injectors on the top end. This will create a false HP gain on the top end due to the lean condition. Dyno numbers are not valid unless you can maintain a safe and stable AF ratio throughout the pull. Looking forward to the charts!

:)

CHART

Note* As Jay stated before, my tq numbers are acually higher but a loss is shown because my engine was getting hot and this pull (as you can see by the chart) was started a few hundred RPMs later. The peak tq range is ealier in the RPM band. (Do I have that right, Jay)

Attachments

• dynotest with JTL CAI.jpg
    dynotest with JTL CAI.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 338
XR7 Dave- I don't have upgraded injectors. Do you think my lean AF ratio could be fixed by a chip alone or are injectors needed as well. I know you said I might be running out. But could the comp adjust for it? If I need injectors which injectors should I get, 40 lbs?

Let me say again I'm impressed. I thought with the 10% pulley that Anthony's car was going to make more torque down low but lose power up top due to a stock IC. He had a fan, but I'd be curious to dyno that car again with a 5% pulley on just to see. Sure the car might make a little more power then but it will feel slower down low. Just a thought.

Here's a few pics I took but they are from a cell phone so they suck.

Wow, those are small, usually this thing takes bigger pics. Oh well thats all I got sorry.

Attachments

• 11219464_40790023_0.jpg
    11219464_40790023_0.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 176
  • 11219464_40790024_0.jpg
    11219464_40790024_0.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 219
  • 11219464_40790025_0.jpg
    11219464_40790025_0.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 188
you could've told me there isn't a price for them instead of sending me to another thread and having me read 5 pages twice b/c I thought maybe I missed it :confused:

I could have sworn your post said - Are there pics for the CAI yet? :eek:

My fault, Jake. Sorry. Which is why I refered you to page two with the pics.

Um, no price yet. They should be for sale in a few weeks. He also talked to me about making a setup which does not go into the fender well, but keeps the filter in the engine bay above the hole with a sheild around it. I believe some people on these threads were asking about that.

Anthony, let me know when I can get the car back to mock up a under the hood kit and get some more pics for instructions.

I will figure up a price soon, but can say it will be very fairly priced. :)
Jay

BTW, Anybody know the answer to my question about TB size?

Tucker said:
One question: He has a 70mm TB and I know many run a 75. Is the OD of the 75 the same as the 70? The reason I ask is his 70 was thick. The coupler I use is slightly larger then 75mm ID and it was a good, but tight fit.

direct quote from www.supercoupeperformance.com on the BBK 70 and 75 throttle bodies.

"Note: The 70 and 75mm Tbodies are identical in appearance.
Only the inside diameters are unique.
Each is externally etched with either the "70mm" or "75mm" size."

Back