Porting intercooler tubes

the best way to do it is not to do it. no point. port other things. like the intake manifold... the plenums... the supercharger... the heads... but the tubes? it would be easier to just re-route them with aluminum tubing and u would probably gain more power...

speed95 said:
Can anybody tell me the best way to port the tubes?

When I ported mine, I used a 2" wire wheel to get the big stuff off, the used a flap wheel for a dremel and got it down pretty smooth that way. For the areas that I couldn't get to I had it blasted. Not sand blasted, but I don't remember what he used. That got the areas that I could not reach. It turned out pretty nice. If you're on a budget and can't reroute the IC tubes, that's the way to go.

My ported ones are sufficient for my current power levels...250 rwhp/340 rwtq...

I'll second the don't bother. I bought an extrude honed lower tube and ported out my upper myself. I used an air die grinder with a cone shaped aluminum cutting tool and cut for hours on it. I then honed it with a dingleberry hone till I wore it out. A lot of work for nothing not to mention the mess of metal shavings everywhere. None of this did squat! My times at the track didn't change at all. Now that I've added the 85mm TB, etc., and I'm pushing 330hp then now maybe it's helping, maybe.

I was wanting to change out the tubes but I dont have a welder yet. I just thought it would help out some airflow till I can get a welder and make some new ones. Do you guys use the stock intercooler with different tubes? If so how did you connect them?

most people just use clamps and couplers... if i were u i would talk to local muffler shops see if they are interested in doin the work.. most will i know around here they will bid for my work.. lol

You're not going to increase airflow at all with using different IC tubes, but using the stock IC. Your IC is the choke point in your system right now, not the IC tubes.

Back