firm ride control switch

joenintiesc

I recently put four new shocks on (Illumina 2's) in May and everything worked great. I took a trip last weekend and left it in FIRM mode (previously it had been in AUTO).

Now while I'm driving and I switch it back nothing happens - FIRM light stays on and I don't hear the actuators. This morning when I started the car I switched it to AUTO and I heard the actuators and the light went out. While driving to work, it went into FIRM mode (on a turn) and stayed there for the entire drive (on straight highway).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

sounds like a loose connection. is the firm ride the default? if it is then I would check connection at the control unit then maybe check for continuity from controller to power source. if you've done any aftermarket wiring i.e. amps speakers etc... I would check down the line next to wires installed after production. if your getting power (constant not intermittent) to the controller than I would have to guess that the relay or relays are intermittent.

Yes, it seems that power is constant. It just wants to stay in FIRM mode all the time. Are the switches known to go bad? I thought I remembered reading something about the fog light switch shorting out sometimes, and since it's right next to the ARC switch...

You could buy a switch at radio shack just to see for 3 bucks. The reason I would do that is because if it isnt the switch at least you didn't spend the big bucks for something it isn't. Wow enough n'ts in that last sentence or what? Anyway just temporarily disconnect the oem switch and reconnect the radio shack switch it should be a single pole double throw but just take the oem switch in to radio shack. Thay should? be able to tell. If the ARC works after that then you know its the switch.

Automotive switches operate under nasty conditions, so the switch could easily be bad. Remove the switch test it with a meter - use should switch between open and a few tenths of an ohm cleanly. If you don't have a meter bring the switch a local electronics shop and they should test it for you in two minutes.

aaron

Thanks guys, I'll look at the switches first as the possible culprit.

Sorry, I don't know Jon, Ritchie, or, "the boys".

I just figured your from where they are from. I'm sure you know I'm talking about Bon Jovi. Good luck with your ARC problem.

Back