3 sets Stiegemeier heads available soon!

XR7 Dave

I know this really isn't the place to be posting this so if it gets moved I understand.

However, Bob has given me till Monday to get any interested parties to put up the money for a set of these heads. This opportunity will not be repeated so check this thread for details.

Link to group purchase forum.

So are these no longer being made and this is a last chance deal? Or is this just the only time he'll have a surplus without the wait that he can sell and not have to send him cores up front?

Bob is too busy doing M112 blowers to bother with SC heads anymore. The only reason he is doing these is because he promised them to me several months ago. He said he doesn't think he will do any more.

Speak up now if you want some.

What Stage?

What Stage will he be doing? Any and all? I will do a set of Stage 2's. PM me or email me with the details Dave. I will be waiting.

Dave

so there goes our little aftermarket we had for decent heads...........and i used to wonder why everyone went to v8 swaps

turbospeed said:
so there goes our little aftermarket we had for decent heads...........and i used to wonder why everyone went to v8 swaps

I wouldn't say that. There is still a significant "market" out there...just not all of them advertise as such. I spoke with Stieg several months ago and he expressed sincere interest in getting out of the SC head business. He did however say that he was still willing to weld the exhaust runners. Ii'm not sure if he is still interested in that. Then any reputable machine shop can port heads, and possibly get better numbers too.

turbospeed said:

Ya.. I guess our money isn't good enough. :( Or, the margin on Cobra's and Lightnings is higher.

An alternative would be to find someone that can weld aluminum (not all that hard) and have them weld up the lower portion of the exhaust ports. Then any competent (key part here) machine shop can port them to at least 90% of the flow. I got 85% on my exhausts without welding and 90% on the intakes without even fully porting them.

P.S. Replacing the stock exhaust valve seats with a large I.D. piece was worth 14-16 CFM@.500" lift (almost 10%). The 1.56" valves sorta fit on the stock seats, but flowed that much better with the larger seats.

Last edited:
Having just ONE person port, mill, put guides in and reshaped ports on two heads is alot of work. It's just something you can easily get burnt out on really quick. One person trying to make enough heads, in which are the only heads better than stock you can buy, for the whole SC community is almost impossible.

I ported my own heads and I wouldn't really want to do it again. It wasn't hard just time consuming and I didn't even reshape the exhaust ports.

"Ya take the good, ya take the bad, you take them both and there you have the facts of life"

Micah

Apparently BOB makes too much profit per amount of work on the 112 blowers to bother doing heads for us..

I guess the profit margin just isnt enough for him.

But on the good side of things maybe someone will come up with an alternate option with sim performance at half price....Where the heads should be at anyway

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
Apparently BOB makes too much profit per amount of work on the 112 blowers to bother doing heads for us..

I guess the profit margin just isnt enough for him.

You're absolutely right. You can check his website for M112 porting...When I visited him he told me he was getting 10 done per week. Do the math. That's a hell of a lot of money.

Check the thread Dave pointed to for any questions about what's available.

Welding up heads over and over isn't a long term way to do it. Best bet is a new casting, but no one with a foundery is just sitting around waiting to forge us some new heads.

Best bet would be for a really skilled guy to build a good fixture and write a good CNC program to get the best you can get out of the stock heads without welding.

Was this guy paid some sort of retainer fee to do work for SC owners? I don't understand the negative comments about him working on other parts even if he is making more money???

Kurt

XR7Kurt said:
Was this guy paid some sort of retainer fee to do work for SC owners? I don't understand the negative comments about him working on other parts even if he is making more money???

Kurt

I don't think that anyone has made a negative comment about Bob. He's an excellent machinist. Bottom line is that there is no money in it for our cars. It takes too long to get a set of heads done, and he can make significantly more money on other parts. I think what you are seeing is some frustration from a couple people that one of the best aftermarket mods for our cars is no longer available.

FWIW I've got a local machine shop that can get better than Coy stage II flow numbers on these heads without any welding. Not quite as good as Bob, but good none-the-less.

XR7Kurt said:

Kurt
Bob Stiegemeier has been around a long time. He's been porting heads for some pretty big name race teams in drag racing Harley Davidsons, V-8's, NASCAR, etc. He started doing work for SC's because at the time his work was slow and Brian Herron talked him into it. It was more of a challenge for him to do something that hadn't been done before rather than a way to make a bunch of money. At one time Bob told me that he had over 40hrs in each set of heads. Perhpas he's cut that time down some now, but you get the picture! He also uses top notch parts. Lightweight valves, titanium retainers, etc. NASCAR grade stuff. He has assured me that the off-the-shelf heads that he does are good for a solid roller cam and 7500rpm which is overkill (at least so far) for any SC out there.

Does that mean we should all line up to worship him or his work? Not at all. One of Bob's main goals was to bring us something that we wouldn't be able to get otherwise. How many other guys in Bob's position would weld heads and then send them out to a customer with one port done so that the person could copy his technique and complete the pair of heads thereby saving the customer money? How many people in Bob's position would be willing to rework other people's heads for the same reason - to save the person money? Bob never was in the SC head business to make money. He was in it for reasons of personal pride and the desire to make something good for us. Did it cost a lot? Yes. Was it marked up a lot? No. Bob makes wages on these heads. That's about it.

As for any questions about the Stage III heads, I have run them on my car for several years now with a VERY mild cam profile with no loss of low end torque, idle quality, or fuel mileage. There is no worry about overkill on these heads. They are extremely efficient at low lift and tolerate lots of timing for good throttle response. For those who are seriously considering dropping the money on these now, have no fears as to the driveability and street manners of these heads.

:)

XR7 Dave said:
As for any questions about the Stage III heads, I have run them on my car for several years now with a VERY mild cam profile with no loss of low end torque, idle quality, or fuel mileage. There is no worry about overkill on these heads. They are extremely efficient at low lift and tolerate lots of timing for good throttle response. For those who are seriously considering dropping the money on these now, have no fears as to the driveability and street manners of these heads.

Dave, I'm drunk with the capabilities of these heads. :D Will the SCP exhaust (not the Big Dog) be ok with these with a mild Stieg cam? What do you consider mild?

Last edited:
As for any questions about the Stage III heads, I have run them on my car for several years now with a VERY mild cam profile with no loss of low end torque, idle quality, or fuel mileage.

I 2nd that. .. Before I went Whipple & 60's (haven't tested fuel econ. with them yet), I had the steg heads/big cam combo & made over 350rwhp at carlisle in 03 while mgetting 23mpg getting out there. Idles like a champ & power at every point in the wheels turning. Well worth the investment. Wish I had a reason to get another pair.

Anthony

Back