Coolant "burp" ?

dkmccarty5

Will someone desribe the "coolant burp" process to me ? Please take it one step at a time - I ain't a quick learner ! Thanks Again. '92 SC 5 speed black ext. gray int.

Put the car...

Put the car over your shoulder and gently rub its back until.......

BURP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now for the real procedure.....

When filling the coolant system, remove the fitting attached to the thermostat housing. It's a 1/2" bolt that has a round warning label attached (if still there). Either way, it's on a stem that puts it about the height of the housing tube.

Fill the radiator with anti-freeze-distilled water mixture (yes, use distilled, better for the motor and radiator) and then, when done...replace the fitting. Leave radiator cap off and start car. Leave heater on so that coolant will flow there.

Coolant will start to come out of radiator and bubble over. When thermostat opens, fill radiator with coolant to top and cap off.

Test drive car and make sure all is well.

I find this the best way to aviod the air bubbles getting trapped in the coolant system and has worked well for years.

Don

dkmccarty5 said:
Will someone desribe the "coolant burp" process to me ? Please take it one step at a time - I ain't a quick learner ! Thanks Again. '92 SC 5 speed black ext. gray int.
1. Let engine cool.
2. Remove radiator cap.
3. Remove the bolt on tube going up from thermostat housing.
It should have a yellowed white cover on it, but some of the covers
have broken off over the years.
4. Fill radiator.
5. look into the tube and you should see coolant.
6. Reinstall bolt and radiator cap.
7. Fill the overflow bottle to the bottom mark.

8. Start up drive around, let cool off and check the overflow bottle and keep it filled to the proper mark. Do this a few times over a few days to get any air purged. You shouldn't need to remove the radiator cap again.

Thats about it. :cool:

Last edited:
I just got my 95 outta storage today, and in the process of removing/replacing the belts on it, lost coolant from the lower Radiator hose. Now today when i started it and have been driving around for about an hour now. Only cold air will blow out ! So does that mean that I have a(n) air bubble? We just opened the yellow duct on top and opened that rad cap and turned on the car. The car was on "panel/floor" and the coolant bubbled some small hiccups outta the radiator and so we figured we got the air. After a test drive again just now, still only cold air and there is no puddles inside the car or anything to mean the heater core is leaking???? Burp again maybe? Any ideas guys??????

Back