tranny help, mount, leak

GREATWHITE666

hi all, yesterday i flushed out my tranny and TC and replaced with mercon V, while i was underneath, I noticed that i have some fluid coming from right above my tranny mount. I know these things are fluid filled, could it be shot and it leaked and thats what the fluid is? the fluid is red, like tranny fluid, but i dont have any tranny leaks and the level has always been fine. also, the crossmember bushings on the sides are pretty squished, it there a set when i can get a new mount and bushings? sometimes when i put my car into drive from park, the car will boggle for a second and the oil gauge goes down but it quickly recovers and never stalls and is fine, could this be tranny mount related if the mount is shot?

another thing, I overfilled my tranny fluid slighty yesterday, will this be a big deal?

Thanks for any help
Damon

I don't know about your trans problems but your oil gauge dropping out would worry me. The stock gauge is an on or off deal and not a true indication of pressure. You may want to stick a real guage on there and see what your pressure drops to. High mileage engines often have badly worn bearings.
As far as your trans mounts, Spinning Wheels sells rubber replacements at a good price. There's a link around here somewhere and they are on Ebay.

well the engine only has about 35K on it, the car has done this every now and then since i got it 3 years ago, so i dont know. right now im wondering what all that fluid is around the trans mount, im sure im gonna end up getting a new one and bushings anyway though- thanks-
damon

ttt

bumping one more time because i plan to replace mount and cross bushings soon. yet another thing has come up,,, i have after market exhaust, 2.5 to 3" back to 2.5, do i need to take exhaust down to get out crossmember? or can i just take off bolts and let crossmember sit on the exhaust while i put in the new stuff? enough room? anyone have experience with this? thank you
Damon

An overfilled tranny can cause leaks. Also, I found my leak in a very unusual place. It appears my leak was coming from the round end of the speed sensor. I took the speed sensor out and I noticed there was an o-ring in the end of it, but I couldn't figure out why. I was able to find a used speedsensor (thanks Racecougar!) and the used speedsensor had a plug in the end of it.

It would be ok to let the crossmember rest on the exhaust, just make sure that you have the transmission supported.

Could be overfilled and comming out of the vent on top, or the tailhousing gasket is leaking, or the speed sensor oring is leaking.....those are your choices.

My transmission leaked from the driveshaft end when I refilled it with the same amount that I had drained out. The front wheels were on ramps and I had drained the torque converter as well. The next time I was wiser (actually the third time; the second time I had already forgotten about this). I followed the procedure and first filled four quarts, then started the engine and immediately added three more quarts, then shifted through all the gears and finally added the remainder.
To prevent overfilling, I first measure the amount that I drained out.
If you have overfilled, check if the fluid is foamy. If it is, then you need to drain some fluid since foaming will prevent good lubrication.

hm

i did measure almost exactly how much i took out and i put the same amount back in, few quarts first, started engine, rotated gears, then turned off, did a few more same thing, then one quart at a time starting car each time. fluid was still low so i put in one final quart. and then it was a little over, noticed it was a bit foamy, when i checked it, but after a few days and checking it, the foam is not around anymore. i only noticed the fluid by the tranny mount after i put new fluid in. very interesting. however, now there are no leaks on my garage floor, it was just "wet" around that tranny mount when i was under there. im going under to replace mount soon so ill get another look at it, thanks for replies guys--
Damon

GREATWHITE666 said:
i did measure almost exactly how much i took out and i put the same amount back in, few quarts first, started engine, rotated gears, then turned off, did a few more same thing, then one quart at a time starting car each time. fluid was still low so i put in one final quart. and then it was a little over, noticed it was a bit foamy, when i checked it, but after a few days and checking it, the foam is not around anymore. i only noticed the fluid by the tranny mount after i put new fluid in. very interesting. however, now there are no leaks on my garage floor, it was just "wet" around that tranny mount when i was under there. im going under to replace mount soon so ill get another look at it, thanks for replies guys--
Damon

check your cooler lines they start on the right side of the tranny near where the crossmember is

Yeah it could be the tailshaft seal as well, they go bad faster with high gears.

Also, on the AOD you want to fill to the "D" in "Don't fill past...."

GREATWHITE666 said:
thanks guys, i dont have the AOD silverfox, i have the 4R70W and still have the stock gears, but i will look at it all---

It could also be the o-ring around the dipstick where the dipstick goes into the tranny, I've had that leak on my 94 auto

Back