Need help replacing upper control arms on '90 XR7

vaxman

Help!

I can't get to the nuts on the rear bolts that hold on the upper control arms! From the top, the master cylinder/brake fluid reservoir is in the way on the left, and several wiring looms and a reservoir for the air conditioner is in the way.
From the bottom, I can snake my arm past the catalytic converter and touch the nut, but I don't know if I can get it off (or more importantly, back on!)

Anybody have a suggestion?

OK maybe I am missing something here but why not just take the tire off and go in from the side where you should have plenty of room to get at it and also it will make getting the upper ball joint loose from the front spindle easier also. You will have to do this to replace the upper control are bushings and I am guessing thats why you are taking them loose from the car. Maybe give some more info on your goal here and someone can give a little better advice or even a diagram of the front suspinsion.

All you need is a sloppy wrench on the nut from under the car to hold it while you take the bolt out from the coil spring side. Break the tabs off the heads of the bolts before youbegine and throw them out; they are not needed for reassembly and they get in the way of a good bite with a 6 sided socket. :cool:

TbirdSCFan said:
All you need is a sloppy wrench on the nut from under the car to hold it while you take the bolt out from the coil spring side. Break the tabs off the heads of the bolts before youbegine and throw them out; they are not needed for reassembly and they get in the way of a good bite with a 6 sided socket. :cool:

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to see if I can reach both the nut and the bolt head at the same time...

Does it help to take the coil spring out first?

Clint

vaxman said:
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to see if I can reach both the nut and the bolt head at the same time...

Does it help to take the coil spring out first?

Clint
You don't even need to do that, let the wrench hang there and as you loosen the bolt, it'll wedge against the frame. You don't need to take the spring out either. Just reach behind it with the socket and extension(s) :)

Back