ABS kicks in at slow speeds

dms825

On my 94 auto, when I'm braking, just before I come to a stop, say in the last 20 feet or so, the ABS will sometimes kick in. I don't believe the ABS is doing its thing on all four wheels, but I can't tell which wheel it is. Weather conditions don't matter, it'll do it wet or dry. It happens most frequently in the morning at the first stop, but it'll also do it if I've been driving for a while and come to a stop. It doesn't do it in stop and go traffic. The car had the problem when I bought it. I replaced pads and rotors and bled the system and still the same. I do have a soft pedal, and there is a drop or two of brake fluid inside the car. I'm thinking it's either the master cylinder needing replacing, or more likely a sensor needing cleaning. Anyone else had this happen?

dms825 said:
On my 94 auto, when I'm braking, just before I come to a stop, say in the last 20 feet or so, the ABS will sometimes kick in. I don't believe the ABS is doing its thing on all four wheels, but I can't tell which wheel it is. Weather conditions don't matter, it'll do it wet or dry. It happens most frequently in the morning at the first stop, but it'll also do it if I've been driving for a while and come to a stop. It doesn't do it in stop and go traffic. The car had the problem when I bought it. I replaced pads and rotors and bled the system and still the same. I do have a soft pedal, and there is a drop or two of brake fluid inside the car. I'm thinking it's either the master cylinder needing replacing, or more likely a sensor needing cleaning. Anyone else had this happen?

My SC isn't doing this, but my '99 Contour is! I'm all ears to hear what is causing it. Same symptoms to a T.

Back