PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler looks beat up.

Lvcien
05-06-2005, 03:37 PM
I was looking at my intercooler today, and the front (facing the engine) is all beat up, it looks like someone smacked it with a stick in a few spots causing some of the aluminum to bend -- is this a problem? can this be straightened back out? -- or should I just leave it be?

Thanks
Chad

Rob Noth
05-06-2005, 03:59 PM
I would recommend to leave it alone. Aluminum fatigues very easily - it might bend once and be OK, but if you try to bend it back it could crack or weaken.

J57ltr
05-06-2005, 04:53 PM
if it's just the fins I would use a pick and straighten them up. Or buy another one they are all over the place.

Jeff

Drnaline
05-06-2005, 09:13 PM
They really make them. They usually have different heads with different fin counts per inch. And you brush it through.

J57ltr
05-06-2005, 10:25 PM
You can't yse one on the IC because of the way it is designed. Those only work on heat exchangers like the condensor.

Jeff

Drnaline
05-09-2005, 07:15 PM
You can't yse one on the IC because of the way it is designed. Those only work on heat exchangers like the condensor.

JeffFunny i did. I thought a cooler was a heat exchanger.

J57ltr
05-09-2005, 07:22 PM
I meant with the fin configuration like athe condensor. I don't see how you did it since the fins are in a zig-zag pattern going top to bottom, not a straight up and down like the AC condensor. but hey Kudos to you. I still don't think it's a good idea.

Jeff

Drnaline
05-10-2005, 12:17 AM
I meant with the fin configuration like athe condensor. I don't see how you did it since the fins are in a zig-zag pattern going top to bottom, not a straight up and down like the AC condensor. but hey Kudos to you. I still don't think it's a good idea.

JeffYeah i know what you ment. It was very time consumming. They also make a plier looking thing that has the zig, zag your talking about built into it. I would just line up and start the row and then push in. Didn't look that hot but it was better then smashed.