Running rough at Idle & low speed driving...trouble shooting help?

metalman

About a week ago it started surging and wanting to stall at a cold idle. Not only until it warmed up did it even out. Today, same thing. I drove 25 down the residential roads and I could feel a bit of power surge or slight sputtering.

I believe it is electrical. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for in a faulty part (DIS, Coil pack, bad gas, wires, plugs...)

It was running beautifully and then out of the blue, it was trying to stall on me.

Any morsel of info would be appreiciated. Thanks

Metalman

you could do a search and look for ages. I am having the same issue right now. I have replaced the plugs and wires, cleaned the throttle body and cleaned the MAF. The MAF was all boogered up from having a conical on it. Check that first. It didnt help my idle issue but it may for you. I am going to replace the MAF from a scrap yard first and then I will do the DIS and FPR. If thats not it........its HI-HO, HI-HO off to search I GO!

Alright this is just my .02... around January every morning on my way to school my car would surge when i started from a stop sign and the it would be fine untill i got on it it seemed to lag, sputter then acc. going up steep inclines it would buck hard and would loss momentum... source of the problem was plugs and wires, one of my plugs when i pulled it out seemed to be gapped wrong? somehow in the engine the tip bent or got hit, it may have been when i pulled it out i bumped it on somthing but anyhow that is what fixed my problem... this may or may not be your problem, just a suggestion because it is always great to hear different suggestions even if they aren't the answer to your problem i think

forgot to mention that at idle it would reach the lowest rpm's possible before dying and alll of a sudden fire back up strong... it was so frustrating, and the car would rock like crazy at stop lights when the rpm's surged down

shane

Last edited:
metalman said:
About a week ago it started surging and wanting to stall at a cold idle. Not only until it warmed up did it even out. Today, same thing. I drove 25 down the residential roads and I could feel a bit of power surge or slight sputtering.

I believe it is electrical. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for in a faulty part (DIS, Coil pack, bad gas, wires, plugs...)

It was running beautifully and then out of the blue, it was trying to stall on me.

Any morsel of info would be appreiciated. Thanks

Metalman

Is this before or after the install on the CAI? If after, you need a tune. Plain and simple. You stated in your dyno result thread that you were running lean and needed to get a tune. If you're still running lean, you can very easily ruin your plugs. That is a very simple answer to what your problem may be.

I changed out the electronics on my pro-m with another and at idle it ran much smoother but under load it bucks and chokes.

The rough idle problem started a couple days before the new CAI, but starting yesterday got exponentially worse.

I thought I ruled out the MAF as the problem, but I used a code scanner and on the KOEO and KOEO test it threw MAF voltage out of specification codes. :confused: What gives? Could both MAFS, which are Pro-M 75 MM for 30 lbs injectors be bad? I also cleared the computer codes, ran a cylinder balance test (passed this test).

Can you shed some light on the maf codes or anything else.

I was going to replace my plugs and wires tomorrow...doesn't the cylinder balance test, check for faulty injectors, wire, plugs in each cylinder? So, if I passed the test, could I cancel out those being my problem?

On a side note, my low speed fan isn't working. Today I put in another fan and is still not working. So, I'm assuming then, it is the IRCM. Does that sound right?

Thank you very much.

Back