Abs Test

pepito6SC

I remember reading about a test you can do in you driveway to see if your accumulator is bad. Something about pressing the brake pedal a couple of times to see when the pump starts to work...does anyone know how to perform this test and is the car supposed to be on????

You can do this key on, engine off. Turn key on to the run position. You'll hear a faint whine which drops off in pitch and then stops. Your anti-lock/Brake dash lights should go out within a few seconds. When it stops, depress the brake pedal a number of times and count how many presses you get before the pump comes on again.

If the pump runs with fewer than 3 presses (i.e. 1 or 2), then you most likely have a worn ABS accumulator. Especially, if the anti-lock/brake lights come on briefly and then go out again.

Let us know if what happens and if you need part #s or suppliers for replacements.

Hope this helps.

OK

I though that was the correct way to test it...I tried it last night and the pump starts going after only 1 pedal pump. The funny thing is that I am not getting the ABS warning light. I just noticed that the pump was running often. What does this mean? Should I still replave the accumulator? thanks

Eventually, yes. You should probably test your ABS on a wet street sometime, but with the pump running so often, its overworking it.

You can get the part from Ford for around $250, or a suitable replacement from prior remanufacturing for $100. The pro/con is the Ford part is easier to install, while the priorreman part needs a funky wrench head because its on the base of the accumulator. They bench rebuild entire HCUs off the car, so for them its not an issue. I've no info on which is more durable. I have the Ford part myself.

If you decide to do this yourself, be sure to discharge the pressure by pumping the pedal 20 times or so with the key off. To remove the accumulator, loosen (and/or remove) driver side cowling, and using an 8mm hex socket just unscrew the accumulator. Reinstall and torque to 35lbs. Some people have said that since the prior part isn't easy to install that they just tightened it up as much as they could and it worked OK. As long as it doesn't leak.

Here's their link: www.priorreman.com

Back