Flowmaster exhaust sounds BAD! Ideas???

95sc666

I just installed 2-1/4" downtubes, no cats, flowmaster 15100 resinator & cat back system on my 95 sc auto. I must say, it sounds like crap(my friend says it sounds like a cow when i get on it). I knew it wouldn't sound like a v8, but I didn't think it would sound this bad! Its also WAY too loud when you get on it. I really dont want to put cats on it, but if anyone thinks it will quiet it down & make it sound a little better, please let me know. Also open to other suggestions. Thanks

That sounds better than mine. Yours seems louder at idle. What size pipes did you fun to the flows, 2-1/4?

yuh, dual 2 1/4" to 3" Y around the gastank and then dual 2 1/4" back out to the flows.
hope this helps

shane

Get a Magnaflow resonator and some borla mufflers. That combo sounds best. It's quiet though.

Cats will smooth it out a bit...If not get a magnaflow resonator to help..

Me Id get cats and live with it..It will eb much quieter

put on cats, the air that comes out of an SC motor without cats is really hagard. I'd feel really bad if I drove by some people and my cat-less exhaust made them pass out/asphyxiate. Plus thier only $40.

Tyler
1990 SC

95sc666 said:
I just installed 2-1/4" downtubes, no cats, flowmaster 15100 resinator & cat back system on my 95 sc auto. I must say, it sounds like crap(my friend says it sounds like a cow when i get on it). I knew it wouldn't sound like a v8, but I didn't think it would sound this bad! Its also WAY too loud when you get on it. I really dont want to put cats on it, but if anyone thinks it will quiet it down & make it sound a little better, please let me know. Also open to other suggestions. Thanks
Thanks for the post. I just bought the same system and i've been debating about going with Hollow cats,Hi flows, Or dragpipes.

That what you get when you buy flowmasters... for a v6. You need to get some nice parts such as magnaflow or borla. Until then, you're stuck with that drone. I absolutely HATE flowmasters. They sound like butt, flow like butt, and are just a horible muffler in my opinion.

Here's my system that I made from scratch over the winter along with some custom long tube headers. Its all mandrel bent, 2.5", 3.5" back into 2.5". resonator is Magnaflow, and the muffers are borla. The stuff wasn't cheap, but well worth it. I also posted a video clip at the bottom...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

passdone1.jpg

drivedone1.jpg

https://home.comcast.net/~fastsc92/exhaust2.mpg

Last edited:
I'm VERY impressed with the way that turned out! It looks like you have some skills!

Here's my current exhaust.. Not near as pretty as above, but it sounds good and flows what I need it to..

SCP headers, 2.5" downpipes with high flow cats, 18" dual in/out magnaflow muffler, side-by-side 2.5" pipes back to 15" magnaflows.

exhaust1.jpg

I may re-design it to make it even quieter, I might try putting some longer mufflers out back on an angle.

well...what I stated was just my opinion. I do not like flowmasters for any application personally. But when you stick em on a v6, expect a drone. Good luck in your search buddy.

Back