making my IC

midgetchaser

I need a new IC so I was going to make my self one of those double IC's. Cause im not paying a million dollars for one. and i definatly dont have the money for a front mount. Can anyone share some tips or give me a good step procedure. Or can this information not be shared becasue of it putting ppl that make them at a loss of business. anything would be appreciated.

I had that same idea you did too. But I think there is alot more work than meets the eye involved with them as well. Honestly, at least for my situation, it was cheaper to have Mike (Mike 38sc) build me one, than to do it myself. Good luck with whatever you decide to do :) Austin

You need to cut tanks and make new end pieces then weld the tanks together.Then remove the paint and polish the tanks,then cover the side panels.Then reseal the tanks and admire your work. :) This sounds easy but just try it.

92strokedbird said:
You need to cut tanks and make new end pieces then weld the tanks together.Then remove the paint and polish the tanks,then cover the side panels.Then reseal the tanks and admire your work. :) This sounds easy but just try it.

it does sound easy but i know how that stuff goes. I think ill have to try it, i just read a couple old posts on it. Plus this will give me more to do while i wait for parts.

The biggest problem that is one you don't see is the epoxy used to seal the tubes. The heat from the welding you do will break down the epoxy and cause leaks in the tube connections.

Various methods to re-seal them have been discussed you should be able to find if you search.

Mike is right about the glued tubes but there's even another twist to it as well. I learned the hard way that there are at least 2 different types of tube construction as well. One type uses 1 piece tube extrusions in there construction. These cores can have the tubes welded to the headerplates(after you clean away the glue) to end the tube leakage of the core.
The other type has tubes that are constructed of 2 pieces of C channel. The 2 pieces are assembled with the openings in what would be the C config. facing each other and the 2 short edges overlapping each other. The overlapping edges are glued together on these as well and there impossable to weld because the glue just keeps boiling out into the puddle.
I had built 4 of the DIC's before I ran into this other tube construction, I did'nt know it existed. Trying to weld those tubes will make your life a living hell.

Back