Anyone changed the INNER tie rod ends?

Inner Tie Rods

I'm actually getting ready to change my Pass. side inner tie rod this afternoon, so I'll let you know how hard it was when I finish. I do know that you will need to rent a inner tie rod tool to take the old one off. Autozone lends out the tool for around 30 bucks(refundeable)

Jeff B.

If I can remember all the steps:

1) Use tie rod end puller (borrowed from AZ) to pop the outer tie rod off - then, count the turns as you unscrew it from the inner so you can reinstall the new inner to approximately the same position.

2) Carefully loosen the clamp on the dust boot on the end of the rack and slide the boot off.

3) Use a chisel to knock the rivet off thats locking the inner onto the rack.

4) I just used an adjustable wrench (though AZ has an inner tie rod tool you can borrow at the same time you get the tie rod end puller) to loosen the large nut holding the inner onto the rack and remove the inner tie rod.

5) Lube the new inner and screw it onto the rack. I think there's a small allen head screw to lock it on.

6) Slide the dust boot back onto the rack and tighten the clamp.

7) Screw the outer back onto the inner at approximately the same position and reinstall the outer.

You should consider an alignment. I only replaced the inner that was bad. Then, a few months later the other inner needed replacing. You may as well go ahead and replace both even if only one is bad as there is no need to pay for two alignments. I also did the outers just so I wouldn't have to do it all over again for a third time.

Thanks for the input. I was worried that I wasn't going to be able to do it while the rack was on the car (according to my Helms Manual). I think I will do both at the same time. Thanks again.

Have the car aligned after you are done. Its cheaper then runing your tires or worse, having steering issues and wrecking your car when your showin off...

Chris

Back