Autotinting rearview in 89?

rustycolt

I have an autodimming mirror out of a 93 that I would like to install in my 89, but not if it means ripping into the wiring. I suspect the 89 has the harness I need up in the headliner somewhere. Does anybody know if the harness is there? When I searched the forums, I learned the early SCs had a motorized mirror that tilted when lights were sensed, so that harness should be around somewhere, but is it the same as the newer autodim mirror?

autodimming

My 1990SC had the autodimming option which tilted the mirror itself ,but it stopped working so I installed a autodimming mirror from a 1994 LX and it used the same wire/connection for it to operate. If you don't have the wiring already, you should find one from the junkyard. If not, the autodimming mirror only needs two wires, a positive and a ground. You can probably make your own wiring for it. Hope this helps.

Brando

Super Simple

The answer is yes, couldn't be easier. I pulled the sun visors and their clips (6 screws total), then gently pulled down the front of the headliner (about 3-4 inches before it started to creak), and there was the harness for the mirror. The only "difficult" part of the swap is that the new mirror would not fit on the old windshield mount, so the mount from the 93 needs to be glued onto the windshield of the 89.

Back