Valve adjustment

Kube

I just replaced the head gasket and am putting stuff back together andam not quite sure how to adj/torque the rockers. The manual says to rotate the crank until each tappet rests on the heel(base circle) of the cam lobe. What position is that? Is it the flat or the peak of the lobe? If anyone can explain this in simple terms it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Just torque the rocker arm bolts to 20 foot pounds. You can rotate the engine untill the valves are closed on each cylinder before you torque them, but I never do. I've done about 100 head gasket jobs sc & non sc & I've never had a problem.

95sc666 said:
Just torque the rocker arm bolts to 20 foot pounds. You can rotate the engine untill the valves are closed on each cylinder before you torque them, but I never do. I've done about 100 head gasket jobs sc & non sc & I've never had a problem.

So torque them to 20 ft lbs and rotating the crank is not a big deal? Just torque them all dwn without rotating and should be ok? Sounds pretty easy, thanks.

make sure you check them all after about 10-15minutes again, because the lifters will "bleed" down and the rockers might have loosened up, if any were loose go back over all of them after another 10-15min

Back