PS high pressure hose plastic seal

J.D.

SCCoA Member
Ford does not stock this part anymore. Does anyone know where one can buy the plastic/nylon/teflon seal/washer for the power steering high pressure hose fitting where it screws into the EVO actuator on the PS pump? I've tried an O-ring, but I don't think that it will hold. The nylon seal seals by getting squished inbetween the threads while the O-ring gets cut up by the threads.

Believe it or not........!

We (as in my brother and I,) after looking at that connection real close, decided that that connection is designed for an "O" ring not a flat seal! One "O" ring and a length of teflon tape later, absolutely NO leak. The first time I tried a flat seal and it leaked like hell. Inspect that connection yourself and I think your gonna come to the same conclusion, nothing like success and a dry connection to prove what we came up with. good luck, cheers and a 6pack later, Frank. P.S. just so we wouldn't have to take it apart again, we played safe and wrapped the threads in teflon tape.

So where did you place the O-ring - inside the EVO actuator or around the high pressure hose fitting? Was it a thin or normal thickness O-ring?
The teflon tape is a good idea.

wow..am i having this same problem, i am leaking from that area, i have put o-ring after o-ring in there and it may hold for a week and then i start seeing a drip puddle again, so what is this nylon seal and where to find it?

J.D. said:
Ford does not stock this part anymore. Does anyone know where one can buy the plastic/nylon/teflon seal/washer for the power steering high pressure hose fitting where it screws into the EVO actuator on the PS pump? I've tried an O-ring, but I don't think that it will hold. The nylon seal seals by getting squished inbetween the threads while the O-ring gets cut up by the threads.

The white nylon or teflon seal is a ring with a square or rectangular cross-section. It can be used only once as it comes out all chewed up. You get one with a remanufactured pump and possibly if you buy the pump seal kit. If no one knows where to find one, I'll try teflon tape.

That is a common item used on many Ford family vehicles. Ford hardware number is 388898-S. Your local dealer should have them on the shelf, if you don't have any luck elsewhere.

cheers
Ed N.

Thanks, Ed. I did go to a dealer who said that it's not stocked anymore. I'll try your part number at a different dealer and report back.

That part number worked like a charm. I met a great parts guy who took one look at the number and immediately knew what it was. He even offered to give me one free of charge.

Attachments

• PS seal.jpg
    PS seal.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 280
I see u got it for free, but did u find out how much it was, and this is just the seal itself?

J.D. said:
That part number worked like a charm. I met a great parts guy who took one look at the number and immediately knew what it was. He even offered to give me one free of charge.

nice I just called the local dealer and they have like 10 or so 1.41 ea.

rzibilske77 said:
I see u got it for free, but did u find out how much it was, and this is just the seal itself?

Hey J.D.......!

Sorry for the confusion on my part, my leak was at the bottom of the H.P. hose, not the top. But, I will remember what the others said about that seal as what was left at the bottom looked like what they are refering to. cheers and beers, Frank. P.S. Christ I love this site, I have NEVER seen a site where folks are this helpful, some my bike site are close, tho.

Back