Is there a difference from 90-94 on oil pumps?

Jeremy_K

Is there a difference in either the oil pump or the oil cooler assembly between a 90 and a 94?

The oil pump is I think a higher volume and is part of the front timming cover. The oil cooler is the same. At least the look identical.

scbird1 said:
The oil pump is I think a higher volume and is part of the front timming cover. The oil cooler is the same. At least the look identical.

Correct kind of. The 94-95 pump does have a higher volume (an extra gear in the pump as well as the gears being slightly longer.) and while attached to the timing cover it is really a seperate piece and can be purchased separately. Melling makes a replacement pump that models the 94-96 version. DO NOT use a 3.8 L N Oil Pump on a SC. They have less volume than even the 89 to 93 version of the SC Oil Pump. Oil cooler is the same on all model year to my knowledge.

Can the early style oil pump be swaped out for the 94-95 style pump? I'm guessing the later model would be better to have over the older ones...(swaped into a 89-93 of course)

pomo35th said:
Can the early style oil pump be swaped out for the 94-95 style pump? I'm guessing the later model would be better to have over the older ones...(swaped into a 89-93 of course)
That is what i'm wondering. i just bought one on ebay for a 94 to put in my 90. Rock auto lists the same PN for both.

You can not bolt the 94/95 pump to the 89/93 timing cover(94/95 pump is larger). But you can bolt the 94/95 timing cover to the 89/93 block complete with pump. But the crank sensors are different for 94/95. You may be able to adapt your 89/93 sensor to fit it though. Hope this helps. Paul

95sc666 said:
You can not bolt the 94/95 pump to the 89/93 timing cover(94/95 pump is larger). But you can bolt the 94/95 timing cover to the 89/93 block complete with pump. But the crank sensors are different for 94/95. You may be able to adapt your 89/93 sensor to fit it though. Hope this helps. Paul

To my knowledge you can use a 94-95 Oil pump on an earlier model SC 3.8L engine with no problems.

Duffy Floyd said:
To my knowledge you can use a 94-95 Oil pump on an earlier model SC 3.8L engine with no problems.

Correct...I did this on my car using the OEM late model pump. The late model timing cover can also be used on an early model motor (comes with two crank sensor mounts).

The Melling number for the late model pump (works on all SCs) is M-246. I bought mine from Summit.

David

Both Dave and Duffy are correct. You can bolt the 94-95 pump up to either the early or late model timing cover, my 94-95 pump is bolted up to a new 90 model timing cover with no issue's at all. The 94-95 model pump has 1 extra tooth on both gears not an extra gear as Duffy said. I know that Duffy meant an extra tooth instead of an extra gear, but I thought I'de clear that up incase someone did'nt understand his meaning.

MIKE 38sc said:
Both Dave and Duffy are correct. You can bolt the 94-95 pump up to either the early or late model timing cover, my 94-95 pump is bolted up to a new 90 model timing cover with no issue's at all. The 94-95 model pump has 1 extra tooth on both gears not an extra gear as Duffy said. I know that Duffy meant an extra tooth instead of an extra gear, but I thought I'de clear that up incase someone did'nt understand his meaning.
Thanks guys. I read something about packing the gears with vaseline (petroleum jelly) is this true? if so, how much should i pack them?

I take the gears out and fill it most of the way and sqwish the new gears in and fill it to the top, bolt it on. I like to fill the oil filter with oil as well.

scbird1 said:
I take the gears out and fill it most of the way and sqwish the new gears in and fill it to the top, bolt it on. I like to fill the oil filter with oil as well.
do the gears come right out? sorry, but i'm just picturing it in my mind since i haven't got the new one yet.

just saw this and thought I'd chime in with some weird information. I work at O'Reilly Auto Parts. I looked up the oil pump for all 89-93 cars and found nothing of an SC specific pump, just the regular M137 melling pump. I also got the same part numbers for all 94-95 v6's. Only when I went to 96+ 3.8's did I find the M246 number. So if you're looking for an oil pump, ask for one from a 96 thunderbird 3.8 and you'll get the one you want.

Also, an interesting note, walk-in price for the m246 at my store is 72.99, 12 dollars cheaper than summit.

-Thomas

Back